Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EEPROM Emulation on MPC5606/S32K312 referencing AN4868 document

Jump to solution
zhaoning
Contributor II

Hi NXP experts,

We implemented EEPROM emulation functionality using dflash on the 5606 platform by referencing AN4868 (EEPROM Emulation with Qorivva MPC55xx, MPC56xx, and MPC57xx Microcontrollers). We have now upgraded to the S32K312 platform and noticed that NXP provides an FEE driver based on mcal. However, the FEE driver from NXP requires initialization of the blockID before writing data, making dynamic writing impossible. In contrast, the implementation in AN4868 allows writing data directly with the record number undefined, enabling dynamic data writing. Additionally, I observed that AN4868 uses FLASH reprogramming logic to record states (normally flash does not allow multiple writes unless erased first. However, if the ECC results are the same, and the writing bit is from 1 to 0, data can be rewritten without erasing).

zhaoning_0-1712735702199.png

1. Does S32K3's flash support reprogramming without erasing operation?

2. Now, we want to use the implementation code of AN4648 to S32K312. Is this available?

3. If we can migrate code of AN4648 from mpc5606 to S32K312, what should we pay attention to?

4. In spc5606,4 bytes of dflash have one ECC byte,and in s32k312 8 bytes of dflash have one ECC byte.Does this feature have any impact on migrating the logic from the 5606 platform to S32K312 platform? 

5. One issue on defining blockID for FEE: For example, if 50 blockIDs are defined but only 10 are frequently written to, will the remaining 40 blockIDs that have not been written to occupy flash space?

6. Our OEM customer does not want to define the ID to be written in advance and prefers to write directly. Can we achieve this functionality by modifying the FEE code?

7. For implementing the logic of AN4648 into S32K312, do you recommend migrating the existing code from the mpc5606 platform or modifying the FEE code?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1-4) I don't think it would be suitable to use MPC drivers for S32K3, these are too different. We have new drivers targeting S32K3 (RTD FEE) and I would strongly recommend to use them. AN4868 is only referenced to understand the principle of EEPROM emulation.

5) No, if blocks are not written, they are not occupy flash space by default. Only block defined as 'Fee immediate data' allocates space before it is used. Fee init only creates some overhead for cluster/block definition - I am not aware of specific details.

6) It is not possible. Blocks must be defined in configuration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1) Yes, it does. RM, section 21.5.1.2 Program, says:

"In rare cases, over-programming of a 64-bit ECC segment may be done (EEPROM emulation in data flash region).

In this case, approved EEPROM emulation drivers must be used, and they must limit the number of over-program operations to three times (four total programs between erases)."

It means for instance 64-bit segment can go ever following 5 patterns (without erase in between):

0xFFFF_FFFF_FFFF_FFFF

0xFFFF_FFFF_FFFF_0000

0xFFFF_FFFF_0000_0000

0xFFFF_0000_0000_0000

0x0000_0000_0000_0000

2) AN4868 is only theoretical explanation of EEPROM emulation driver, it is based on our EEE drivers. There is no code related to AN4868.

3) I am not aware of all differences. I would recommend to use FEE driver and use it according example code related to S32K3 MCU. There are even some changes in terminology (instead of block FEE driver uses term 'Cluster'. Instead of record FEE driver it use term 'Block'). And there is no document which would explain differences.

4) There is an impact as there is different ECC boundary. It is just needed to use proper driver.

5, 6) It does not matter. EEE does not write these to the same place. EEPROM emulation driver basically spreads programmed data content over the whole data flash in order to prevent wearing out of particular flash portions, that’s main functionality and the reason why these drivers are actually being used.

7) As I already answered I would recommend to use FEE code.

0 Kudos
zhaoning
Contributor II

Hi sir,

many thanks for your reply!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) The information I provided was incorrect. We just referenced AN4868 to understand the implementation principle of FLASH Emulated EEPROM. In spc5606, we used a driver based on NXP's official offering (link: https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/preDownload.jsp?render=true). After installation, there will be a demo of emulated EEPROM as well as reference manual document. We want to migrate this driver code to S32K312. Is there anything specific to pay attention to when migrating this emulated EEPROM implementation to S32K312?

zhaoning_0-1712803364537.png

(5) We know that for data with the same ID, EEE will not repeatedly write to the same flash address to record data. My question is, in the S32K312 FEE driver based on MCAL, if data is only defined but hasn't undergone any write operations, will it actually occupy FLASH space? In the EEE application of mpc5606, our OEM customers might use 1000 IDs to record different faults (there is no need to define all 1000 IDs during initialization, only the fault data corresponding to the ID will be written in real-time when a fault occurs). However, not all 1000 faults will occur simultaneously; typically, a maximum of 10 faults may occur at a time. As the other 990 faults do not actually occupy FLASH space, block swapping will not happen too frequently. If utilizing the MCAL-based FEE driver, even if only 10 faults occur frequently, block swapping would still be frequent if the blockNumber defined during initialization occupies flash space without any write events.

(6) In the case of an autosar-based FEE driver, blockNumber must be defined in advance for writing and reading. However, the EEE driver of mpc5606 allows real-time read and write without the need for prior definition. Nevertheless, OEM customers prefer not to use defined modules, so we are considering migrating the EEE code from mpc5606. With an autosar-based FEE driver, is there a way to write without defining blockNumber?

(7) We strongly recommend OEM customers to use the built-in FEE driver of S32K312. However, we cannot convince customers to add a blockNumber definition module at the application layer. Are there other ways to implement this application scenario based on the FEE driver?

0 Kudos
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1-4) I don't think it would be suitable to use MPC drivers for S32K3, these are too different. We have new drivers targeting S32K3 (RTD FEE) and I would strongly recommend to use them. AN4868 is only referenced to understand the principle of EEPROM emulation.

5) No, if blocks are not written, they are not occupy flash space by default. Only block defined as 'Fee immediate data' allocates space before it is used. Fee init only creates some overhead for cluster/block definition - I am not aware of specific details.

6) It is not possible. Blocks must be defined in configuration.

0 Kudos
zhaoning
Contributor II

Thank you sir, you have solved all my problems.

0 Kudos
zhaoning
Contributor II
Any further reply about these questions ?
0 Kudos
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Due to limited resources, we are currently unable to support customers writing from generic email accounts such as gmail.com or qq.com or similar. Please ensure that you use your company email address when communicating with NXP so that we can prioritize your question accordingly. Thank you for your understanding.

0 Kudos
zhaoning
Contributor II
Hi sir, I have modified my email account to my company email address, and our company have signed an NDA with NXP. Can you give us further reply about these questions?
0 Kudos
zhaoning
Contributor II

Anyone who can reply my problems?

0 Kudos