EB (29.0.0) tresos configuration - Watchdog Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EB (29.0.0) tresos configuration - Watchdog Timer

Anu_123
Contributor I

I am configuring the watchdog timer in EB tresos. There are two configuration containers, WdgSettingsFast and WdgSettingsSlow, both of which include a parameter called WdgTimeoutPeriod. However, there is no detailed description provided for this parameter. Additionally, the WdgGeneral container contains two other timeout-related parameters: WdgInitialTimeout and WdgMaxTimeout. so I need clarification on the WdgTimeoutPeriod parameter to ensure I configure the correct time period for the watchdog.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Anu_123 

I suggest you to refer Chapter 66 (Software Watchdog Timer (SWT)) of the S32K3xx Reference Manual, Rev. 8 and the S32K3 WDG driver Integration Manual and User Manual provided with the RTDs. These documents provide details about the WDG driver (limitations, HW and SW requirements, usage, configurations, etc.) that might be useful to you.

The WDG driver IM and UM can be found, for example: C:\NXP\S32DS.3.5\S32DS\software\PlatformSDK_S32K3\RTD\Wdg_TS_T40D34M30I0R0\doc or C:\NXP\SW32K3_RTD_R21-11_3.0.0_P07\eclipse\plugins\Wdg_TS_T40D34M30I0R0.

Additionally, two Software Watchdog Timer example codes are provided with the RTDs, one implemented with low-level drivers (Swt_Ip_Example) and the other one with MCAL (Wdg_Example), which can be a good reference.

BR, VaneB

0 Kudos

Anu_123
Contributor I

I have referred the NXP reference manual as well as the User Manual (UM) and Integration Manual (IM) of the watchdog timer. The UM provides a clear explanation of the WdgInitialTimeout and WdgMaxTimeout parameters, making them easy to understand. However, the WdgTimeoutPeriod in the WdgSettingsFast container lacks sufficient detail, which leads to confusion. I would like more information about this parameter, its purpose, and how it works with the watchdog.

Anu_123_0-1726631331852.png

Anu_123_1-1726631384096.png

Anu_123_2-1726631510557.png

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Anu_123 

The processor periodically sends a pulse to the SWT servicing operation to indicate that the system software is operating properly. If the SWT does not receive this pulse within an allotted time period (known as a timeout), the SWT generates an interrupt or a hardware reset request.

0 Kudos