Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock Division error in S32K1xx Reference Manual

Jump to solution
AergoXenn
Contributor II

Hello,

On sections 28.3.9, 28.3.12, 28.3.15 and 28.3.18 I have found an inconsistency regarding the contents of the S32K1XX.h library provided through S32DesignStudio.

The sections refer to the SOSCDIV, SIRCDIV, FIRCDIV and SPLLDIV register maps. The error is consistent in all of them: the definitions are missing for the xxxxDIV1 bit fields, although they are present in both the S32k libraries and S32DS IDE debug/trace register definitions.

This caused issues when configuring the device (S32K148) as we had to experiment with the configurations of the divisions until we found this error.

As you can see, the bit field from 3:0 does not have a name, nor a definition/explanation of its configuration. We had assumed this was a reserved space and so it was left unused, however the IDE and libraries showed the opposite. 

There is also an inconsistency between the cookbook and reference manuals, where the EREFS bitfield in the SOSCCFG register is defined to be:

0 - External reference clock selected

1 - Internal crystal oscillator of OSC selected

Where as the opposite is true for the cookbook. I have confirmed the RM is incorrect, given that the processor does not trigger SOSCVLD flag when configured according to reference manual, but works when configured following the Cookbook's instruction.

I hope this can be helpful for others. Greetings!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi AergoXenn,

Thank you for the report!
I have reported the missing of SCG_SOSCDIV[SOSCDIV1] in S32K-RM (Rev. 14, 09 2021). You can refer the description of S32K-RM (Rev. 13)

SCG_SOSCDIV[SOSCDIV1].png

About the SCG_SOSCCFG[EREFS], please tell me your hardware:
external reference clock at EXTAL pin(EREFS=0)
or
crystal at EXTAL and XTAL pin(EREFS=1)
SCG_SOSCCSR[SOSCVLD] will be set after 4096 xtal counts

8MHz crystal is used in AN5413, so the SCG_SOSCCFG[EREFS]=1 and need to wait System OSC Valid SCG_SOSCCSR[SOSCVLD].

AN5413 2.2.2 Design.pngSCG_SOSCCFG[EREFS].png

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AergoXenn
Contributor II

Hello Robin,

Thanks for replying.

I am currently developing on the S32K148EVB-Q176 Evaluation Board.

SOSCVLD flag is asserted by the µC and every other clock configuration works when following cookbok. It seemed to me like the definitions were inverted on the RM, since the EVB used an external crystal and not FIRC/SIRC as reference. I now understand it refers to "external clock" as a clock signal from an external oscillator, not a crystal on EXTAL and XTAL pins using the internal oscillator of the chip.

Thank you for your help, this has cleared my misunderstanding.

Best Regards,

AK.

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi AergoXenn,

Thank you for the report!
I have reported the missing of SCG_SOSCDIV[SOSCDIV1] in S32K-RM (Rev. 14, 09 2021). You can refer the description of S32K-RM (Rev. 13)

SCG_SOSCDIV[SOSCDIV1].png

About the SCG_SOSCCFG[EREFS], please tell me your hardware:
external reference clock at EXTAL pin(EREFS=0)
or
crystal at EXTAL and XTAL pin(EREFS=1)
SCG_SOSCCSR[SOSCVLD] will be set after 4096 xtal counts

8MHz crystal is used in AN5413, so the SCG_SOSCCFG[EREFS]=1 and need to wait System OSC Valid SCG_SOSCCSR[SOSCVLD].

AN5413 2.2.2 Design.pngSCG_SOSCCFG[EREFS].png

Best Regards,
Robin
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.