cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLDC with encoder for s32k144 example

Jump to solution
Abdel
Contributor II

Hello, can you help me to find a possibility to switch between encoder and Hall sensor in the BLDC Motor Application Tuning Tool as with pmsm control page (see picture below). Thank you in Advance

Best regards 

Abdel

0 Kudos
1 Solution
marekmusak
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Abdel,

Unfortunately, such a check box does not exist in BLDC app. BLDC motor is trapezoidal motor type controlled by Six-step commutation technique, so here we use Hall sensor that perfectly fit to this commutation technique. Encoder is more expensive sensor intended for sinusoidal control -FOC. This motor control kit offers only Hall sensor, nevertheless, you can use your own motor with encoder and run PMSM_FOC code example. This code example contains routine for encoder signal processing.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marekmusak
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Abdel,

compared to PMSM app, in the BLDC app, there is a macro that defines Hall operation or sensorless operation . This macro can be changed in motor_structure.h as show below:

/*****************************************************************************
* Define Hall based or Sensorless based BLDC SixStep Control
* HALL_SENSOR 0 Sensorless operation, motor position/speed obtained by the back-EMF voltage
* zero-cross detection method
* HALL_SENSOR 1 Sensorbased operation, motor position/speed is obtained by the Hall sensor
******************************************************************************/
#define HALL_SENSOR 0  

0 Kudos
Abdel
Contributor II

Hi Marekmusak,

Thank you for your answer. Of course I changed the motor_structure.h for the hall sensor, otherwise I would not have seen the signals in freemaster. I meant a checkbox where you could decide between a hall sensor or an encoder in page control from motor control app tuning tool. Can you tell me please, if the bldc motor has also an encoder or just a hall sensor?

Best regards

Abdel

0 Kudos
marekmusak
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Abdel,

Unfortunately, such a check box does not exist in BLDC app. BLDC motor is trapezoidal motor type controlled by Six-step commutation technique, so here we use Hall sensor that perfectly fit to this commutation technique. Encoder is more expensive sensor intended for sinusoidal control -FOC. This motor control kit offers only Hall sensor, nevertheless, you can use your own motor with encoder and run PMSM_FOC code example. This code example contains routine for encoder signal processing.  

0 Kudos