s32g3 serial boot image

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s32g3 serial boot image

edelh
Contributor II

I have created a serial boot image for the s32g3 following the below format and configured the board to boot serially (SW10: OFF) but it does not boot/jump to the application code.

This application code proves to work for boot from SD card.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Celeste_Liu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear @edelh ,

I would like to clarify if the product you are using is the S32G-RDB3. If so, please refer to the following image for the switch setting of boot from SD card.

Celeste_Liu_0-1725847808224.png

It is possible that the issue you are experiencing is related to incorrect switch settings. Please double-check these settings and ensure they are in accordance with the requirements for serial boot.

If the problem persists after verifying the settings, please provide more detailed information about the steps you have taken and any error messages or unusual behavior observed during the boot process. This will help us further diagnose and resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Celeste

0 Kudos

edelh
Contributor II

I am using the S32G-RDB3.

To clarify I am able to boot from SD card using the configured SD card boot image which includes the same M7 binary that I am using for serial boot. However, when I re-configure the image for serial boot (refer to above screenshot) it does not boot.

0 Kudos

edelh
Contributor II

Screenshot from 2024-09-09 16-51-47.png

this is the current switch configuration that I am referencing for serial boot

0 Kudos

Celeste_Liu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear @edelh ,

In general, the device usually boots from external flash memory, including eMMC, QSPI Flash, etc. Booting from Serial Boot mode is a configuration step before flashing the binary. By setting the S32G -  RDB3 to this mode, you can use tools such as S32 Flash Tool to write the binary image to the external flash memory.

After the flashing is completed, the device will boot from the corresponding external flash memory (such as eMMC, QSPI Flash, etc.) according to the configuration, rather than from the Serial Boot mode. The Serial Boot mode is just a configuration mode during the flashing process, which supports writing the binary through the serial port. For more details, please refer to the document AN13456.

Regarding Serial Boot, you can refer to the document "AN14136 Enabling Serial Boot in S32G".

The mentioned documents are available under the "Search" of the NXP official website (link: Search | NXP Semiconductors), as shown below.

Celeste_Liu_0-1725946266063.png

Best Regards,

Celeste

0 Kudos

edelh
Contributor II

Thank you for providing detailed information regarding the different boot options for the s32g-rdb3! While I am able to boot from SD card, I would also like to leverage the ability to boot serially.

My confusion lies in the fact that while the physical board dip switches and binary are configured for serial boot as per the specifications of the NXP s32g-rdb3 documents (including the one you have linked), I am still not able to boot serially.

Can you assess the provided screenshots and state whether or not they align with what is expected and possibly provide insight as to why I may be facing the issue of not being able to boot?

0 Kudos

Celeste_Liu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear @edelh ,

Thank you for your reply. As you mentioned, enabling serial boot is crucial for you. Have you referred to the document AN14136? This document provides detailed descriptions of serial boot and is highly recommended.
I have examined your screenshots. Currently, the issue I can identify is that in screenshot 1, there are 48 Bytes Reserved with "0xFF", but in your binary file, it's all "0x00". As of now, this is the only problem I can see based on your screenshots.

Celeste_Liu_0-1726038217003.pngCeleste_Liu_1-1726038229898.png

Once again, I recommend referring to AN14136. It contains detailed explanations on how to generate a serial boot image and how to enable it with the board. It also provides a python script to enable non-secure serial boot from UART and FlexCAN interfaces. You can open it using PDF readers like Adobe Acrobat to access the document's attachments as shown in the figure.

Celeste_Liu_2-1726038357288.png

The attached prebuilt serial boot image - 's32g3_non_secure_serial_boot_image.bin' is an application demo that lights up the RGB LED (U128) of S32G-VNP-RDB3. You can try this demo binary to see if it works successfully on your board.
I hope the above information is helpful to you.
Best regards,

Celeste

0 Kudos

minersrevolt
Contributor III

Hey @Celeste_Liu

Probing on this more, I am loading the test image provided for the RDB3 with the S32 Flash Tool and am seeing that the reserved fields being transmitted are actually random, not 0xFF. I have logic analyzer probes hooked up to the RX pin on the RDB3 UART and am doing multiple runs.

The image successfully loads and I can see the output.

See the two images below. Both are captures after the Code Length Word field is sent. The sparse transactions are the Reserved fields and the compressed area is the actual binary, which matches a hex dump of the binary. 

From this I must conclude that the Reserved fields are either random or I'm missing something, can you confirm please?

minersrevolt_0-1726591298520.pngminersrevolt_1-1726591313589.png

0 Kudos

Celeste_Liu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear @minersrevolt ,

We are not in a position to answer your question in this case. If needed, please enter S32G - NXP Community and click "Ask a question" to create a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Celeste

0 Kudos

minersrevolt
Contributor III
Hey @Celeste_Liu
Does the source code for your binary application exist anywhere? I would specifically like to see the linker script along with the actual c/h files.
0 Kudos

Celeste_Liu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear @minersrevolt ,

There is no linker script available. For generating a serial image, you can refer to the following link: Solved: How to create an image for serial boot? - NXP Community

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any other questions, please feel free to create a new case.

Best regards.

Celeste

0 Kudos