Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32G2 - SJA1110 firware

Jump to solution
Gerry15
Contributor III

Hey guys,

I am currently working on the S32G2 board and I want to use the SJA1110 Switch. Is there a default firmware available, preinstalled on the board or is the only available ".bin" firmware file provided in the SJA1110 SDK by GoldVIP?
I used the Linux BSP 36.0 and appended the "pfe" and "sja1110" layer in the bitbake configuration. When booting I also get the following messages, suggesting that no default firmware is available:

Load Kernel Modules...
       [    7.277111] sja1110: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
 [    7.277741] SPI driver sja1110 has no spi_device_id for nxp,sja1110-switch
 [    7.277749] SPI driver sja1110 has no spi_device_id for nxp,sja1110-uc
S[    7.277909] sja1110 spi5.0: probing uc
t[    7.278099] sja1110 spi5.1: probing switch
a[    7.278426] sja1110 spi5.1: Could not get GPIO from device tree
r[    7.278453] sja1110 spi5.1: [sja1110_post_probe_upload_worker] Trying to initialize switch
t[    7.279589] systemd[1]: Starting Generate network units from Kernel command line...
i[    7.283223] sja1110 spi5.1: Direct firmware load for sja1110_switch.bin failed with error -2
n[    7.283257] sja1110 spi5.1: request_firmware failed with -2
g[    7.283266] sja1110 spi5.0: [sja1110_post_probe_upload_worker] Trying to initialize uC
 [    7.283306] sja1110 spi5.0: Direct firmware load for sja1110_uc.bin failed with error -2

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gerry15
Contributor III

Ok, 

I found the error. I used different PFE firmware files when building the BSP and now the interface is shown! Unfortunately, I am not sure, which firmware version worked, but the version "PFE 1.3.0 RTM" did not work! If someone has the same issue, please comment down below and I can give more detail

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

If no switch configurations have been modified under the board, SJA is booting from the available NOR Flash.

Even if Linux is telling there was an error, it should be due to the SJA already fetching the information from other source rather than Linux. At this moment, we understand there is no feature for Linux to detect the booting method for SJA, it is being defaulted to serial in Linux. The default switch configuration for booting the SJA is NOR Flash, hence the error on Linux.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos
Gerry15
Contributor III

Thanks for the answers.

My next question would then be, is there a default configuration on the NOR flash, or do I have to flash my configuration to get the SJA running? 

Kind Regards

Gerry

0 Kudos
Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

There is already a default configuration flashed inside the NOR Flash, there is no need of flashing SJA FW unless a different configuration is required.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos
Gerry15
Contributor III

Hey,

I didn't flash the NOR and I am booting a self built BSP 36.0 image from an SD card (as described here). I additionally added the pfe layer with corresponding ".fw" files and added the sja1110 layer in the bitbake config file.

When using the command "ifconfig -l" the wanted pfe0 (pfe1, pfe2) interfaces are not shown, only the standard eth0 interface (and loopback). As I want to use an application, running on the BSP, which should be able to access incoming network traffic of the switch, this is suboptimal. 

Is this normal behaviour? How can I achive the wanted configuration?

Kind Regards

Gerry 

0 Kudos
Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

There is an Ethernet Enablement Guide that could be useful under this scenario, since it describes how to enable all available ethernet ports under the RDB2. This is available under the RDB2 product page (link: S32G2 Vehicle Networking Reference Design | NXP Semiconductors).

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos
Gerry15
Contributor III

Hey,

I am actually following the Ethernet-Enablement-Guide. Before going through step 4 of the guide, I am not able to find the pfe0 interface for the SJA1110. Only after downloading the SJA1110 SDK for Design Studio it seems. Therefore I started this questions, about an alternative on how to get the pfe0 working without the SDK (as described in the guide). 
Fortunately I was able to get hands on the SDK through forming a request for the kit.

0 Kudos
Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Seems odd, since SJA1110 should have a default FW flashed inside the respective NOR Flash. Unless the switches are not configured in the default state, it should have used the default FW.

Still, good to know you could get your hands on the SJA SDK.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos
Gerry15
Contributor III

Ok, 

I found the error. I used different PFE firmware files when building the BSP and now the interface is shown! Unfortunately, I am not sure, which firmware version worked, but the version "PFE 1.3.0 RTM" did not work! If someone has the same issue, please comment down below and I can give more detail

0 Kudos