cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32G2 Flashing SJA1110

Gerry15
Contributor III

Hello Community,

I went through the S32G-VNP-RDB2 Ethernet Enablement Guide and in Step 4, where the SJA1110 is flashed with the corresponding firmware. Unfortunately I have different behaviour then described in the guide. 

I am flashing the SJA via Linux, therefore I performed the following steps, as described in the guide:

• Copied "flash_image.bin" into the filesystem via mounting the SD card to another linux system
  •  SW10[1]: On, SW10[2]: Off;
  •  SW12[1]: On, SW12[2]: On;
  • Booted the S32G2 with the SD card

When now performing the commands "rmmod", "modprobe" and writing the image into "uc_fw_upload" I get no feedback messages of the board. The Guide shows that a Feedback message should be shown. Additionally no pfe0 was added when looking at the networkinterfaces with "ifconfig".

I am using the newer version of the Linux BSP 36.0, could this introduce the difference or am I doing something wrong? Are the switch settings correct?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The following information is provided under the BSP36.0 User Manual:

DanielAguirre_0-1687459851583.png

You could also add the files to the boot partition on your SD card and it should load them directly. The names should be as described under the BSP User Manual:

DanielAguirre_1-1687459908334.png

As for the commands not providing any echo, it seems to be related to the BSP version. You could verify these steps with BSP30.0 and should provide the same output as the one showed under the guide. The following thread provides some insight on the BSP30.0 behavior:

modprobe sja1110 fail - NXP Community

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos

Gerry15
Contributor III

Hey,

I can confirm that BSP 30.0 gives back the same echos when doing the described actions. How can I check if the same worked on my 36.0 BSP?

Now just for my understanding: this flashing procedure writes the firmware of the sja only temporary. Can I somehow make it permanent? For example, I would like to set the mirroring port to a certain port, so that I can listen to the SJA switch traffic on the BSP, even after rebooting the board. Could you maybe explain what the flashing actually does? 

0 Kudos

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

For BSP36.0, dmesg should be able to provide the information you are willing to see.

As for SJA, help us either opening a ticket inside the NXP online support or contact your local NXP FAE, since this information is not publicly available due to SJA being under NDA. We do apologize.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos

Gerry15
Contributor III

Hey,

thank you for the answer, I am still not sure if the flashing worked properly. When the message "Upload successfully verified" appears, does this mean, that I can set back the SW12 switches to default, to start working on the board normally? Is the flash configuration directly active, when the upload is done?

Or could you give some insight if there is a default mirroring already happending? If yes, how can the linux BSP host access it?

0 Kudos

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The command method (or copying the files to the boot partition inside the SD) will be treated as a serial boot mode, where the SJA will be put in polling mode to fetch the FW through the available interfaces.

Once the FW is loaded in serial mode to the SJA, it will proceed to execute it. For what we can understand, if you are planning on using serial boot mode under the SJA, you need to send the FW on every power cycle, the SJA will not send the FW to the NOR Flash.

As for the SJA configuration under the NOR Flash, should be the same as the example project available under the SJA1110 SDK. As for accessing SJA1110 configuration from Linux, we cannot see anything under the S32G documentation, we apologize.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos

Gerry15
Contributor III

Hey,

would it be possible to confirm, that the default configuration in NOR is the same as in the example project? I am currently more intereseted in how to access the mirror port data, so the mirrored data of incoming packets. Is there any possibility?

As I followed the steps of the S32G-VNP-RDB2 Ethernet Enablement Guide to upload the configuration binary in the SJA. More precise I followed the Step "4.8.2)" on the linux 30.0 BSP and got the Upload successfully verified message, the switch should work with the flashed configuration. This means, that SJA1110 P2 (bottom, most right Ethernet Port) should mirror all traffic of the SJA switch (MIRR_PORT=2). Unfortunately I was not able to acess mirrored packets yet. 

Sinserely 

Gerry

Gerry

0 Kudos

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The documentation available suggests that the available FW inside the NOR Flash is the one provided under the SJA1110 SDK (the related to the RDB2 platform, that is).

As for SJA1110 information/usage, we may not be the correct channel, since we relate directly to S32G. Help us either with opening a ticket under the NXP online services or contacting your local NXP FAE, we do apologize.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos