S32G2 BOOT (QUICK ANSWER)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32G2 BOOT (QUICK ANSWER)

sangrael
Contributor I

Hi! I am verifying my design for booting. 

S32G274A processor referencing to Goldbox reference design.

I read S32G QuadSPI Deep Dive document and found out this.

For each external flash device, there is a flash device-specific flash algorithm file, such as EMMC, SD,
QuadSPI devices. For S32G, the supported communication interface between the host (PC) and the
target device (S32G2) are UART and CAN. The most commonly used is the UART interface.

I will add USB to UART IC same as Goldbox reference.

1) USB to UART IC is enough for the booting selection and can we load(program) image through USB-UART?

I understand there are RCON / (internal fuse) and can configure BOOT_CFG[7] BOOT_CFG[6] BOOT_CFG[5] for either SD, eMMC, and NOR Flash for booting. It seems that we don't need RCON as we can select Flash memories. Is that true?

2) How can I configure BOOT_CFG2[31:0] and BOOT_CFG3[31:0]? I understand there are RCON pins but there are just 32 pins. We need 94 pins to control all bit.

Regards,

Sangrae

0 Kudos
1 Reply

marcuslim
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sangrael,

Qn) USB to UART IC is enough for the booting selection and can we load(program) image through USB-UART?

[ML] Booting se lection can be made via BootMod1 and BootMod2 pins to decide if boot from Serial, RCON or Fuses setting.   It is possible to load/program an image through Serial.

marcuslim_0-1653469480220.png

Qn) I understand there are RCON / (internal fuse) and can configure BOOT_CFG[7] BOOT_CFG[6] BOOT_CFG[5] for either SD, eMMC, and NOR Flash for booting. It seems that we don't need RCON as we can select Flash memories. Is that true?

[ML]  If the efuse is fused to select the right external memory, you will not need RCON as shown in the above Table.  You may refer back to the RDB ref kit where the RCON are available at the DIP switches for selecting the different external memory boot.  RCON is needed here as the eFuse are not fuse out of NXP factory.  

Qn) How can I configure BOOT_CFG2[31:0] and BOOT_CFG3[31:0]? I understand there are RCON pins but there are just 32 pins. We need 94 pins to control all bit.

[ML] BOOT_CFG2 and BOOT_CFG3 can only be set by fused programming, not RCON. 

On S32G Boot, you can read further in "AN12422 S32G2 Boot Process". 

Regards,

Marcus