cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which debugging interface is better?

Jump to solution
srikarthik0601
Contributor II

I have a S32K144-Q100 evaluation board( total newbie here). Just wanted to ask which debugging interface is better ? Segger Debugging Interface or GDB PEMicro Debugging Interface 
What will be the differences if I choose one over the another?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @srikarthik0601 

This setting enables the semi-hosting support and configures input/output to print information to the console during debugging.

• No I/O - No printing will be done.
  • Debugger Console - The output will be printed out to the console provided by the debugger specified in the Debugger setting.
  • Real-time printf with ITM - The Instrumentation Trace Macrocell (ITM) block provides a mechanism for sending data from your target to the debugger via the SWO trade stream.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @srikarthik0601 

As you are using an EVB, is not necessary to use an external debugger to flash programming unless you want it or require it.

Our EVB comes with an onboard debugger with OpenSDA, which provides a bridge between your computer (or other USB hosts) and the embedded target processor, which can be used for debugging, flash programming, and serial communication, all over a simple USB cable.

OpenSDA is programmed with the proprietary P&E Micro-developed bootloader. P&E Micro is the default debug interface app.

B.R.

VaneB

0 Kudos
srikarthik0601
Contributor II
Thanks for the quick reply
0 Kudos
srikarthik0601
Contributor II

srikarthik0601_0-1693832633455.png

I just wanted to know what to choose over here, PEMicro or Segger
I will go with PEMicro then. 
And also can you tell me about I/O support, Debugger Console vs real time printf with ITM

0 Kudos
VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @srikarthik0601 

This setting enables the semi-hosting support and configures input/output to print information to the console during debugging.

• No I/O - No printing will be done.
  • Debugger Console - The output will be printed out to the console provided by the debugger specified in the Debugger setting.
  • Real-time printf with ITM - The Instrumentation Trace Macrocell (ITM) block provides a mechanism for sending data from your target to the debugger via the SWO trade stream.
0 Kudos
srikarthik0601
Contributor II
Thank you so much!