SRecCvt-Gui won't run

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRecCvt-Gui won't run

astro_goto
Contributor III

Since a recent WIN7 update my PC won't run SRecCvt-Gui converting .S19 files for download to Flash on a MC9S12DP512.

It yields a message, "Improper Format in 'DeviceInfo.Dat' file". I tried downloading a new version of SREC to no avail.

I even uninstalled all the recent WIN7 updates and the same message comes back. I've experienced a similar problem in the

past and uninstalling updates solved the problem, but not this time.

In an attempt to circumvent this problem I tried running the DOS version SRecCvt.exe with the following command line:

sreccvt.exe -s2 -b 32 0x20 32 -lp -o c:\miniide\out.s19 c:\miniide\main.s19 which produces an output file whose 1st

line is: S224008000164649CE096616627916604ACE0A9D16627916623216466CCE096A166279166048.

For the same input file SRecCvt-Gui used to produce a slightly different output file with the following 1st line:

S224080000164649CE096616627916604ACE0A9D16627916623216466CCE096A1662791660C0

Except for the S2 addresses and the checksums, the lines are identical. My question is why are they not identical ?

And does it make any difference ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I suppose that problem could be in parameter “-lp”.

-lp Convert linear $4000 - $ffff to paged S-Records.

Did you mark this option in Gui version?

SRecCvt.PNG

Do you really want convert linear addresses to banked? Typically we need convert file in opposite direction (from banked to linear format)?

0 Kudos

astro_goto
Contributor III

The main problem is that SRecCvt-Gui will not even open. the Gui box shown in your reply does not even display, so none of the options can be selected.  Anyway, the DOS version, SRecCvt.exe, is just too cumbersome to use on a regular basis

I've traced the problem source to a recent WIN7 security update and have since cancelled all future WIN7 updates - I just don't trust Microsoft anymore. I'll rely, as I always have, on my firewall and anti-virus programs.

Fortunately, my WIN7 system has Virtual XP Mode and in XP mode, SRecCvt-Gui works as before! Once Virtual XP has been started, I can instantly switch back and forth between XP and Win7.  After edit & assemble of my code,  I switch to XP and  convert the .S1 file with SRecCvt-Gui, then download with HyperTerminal.

Since I never experienced this problem with my old XP system, I don't expect the problem will return.

I'd be pleased to find out if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it.

0 Kudos

GordonD
Contributor IV

Gilbert,

Sorry you're having so many problems with SRecCvt-GUI on Win7. I've tried it on my Win7 64-bit machine and have not had any problems. I know the command line interface is a bear, that's why I created the GUI. However, if you'd like to use the command line tool in Win7, here's a 'trick' for generating the correct command line from the GUI settings.

In WinXP mode, double click on SRecCvt-GUI and then immediately press the control key. In addition to the SRecCvt window, this will bring up a "Debug Command" window. In the SRecCvt window, make all the necessary settings including the Input File(s) and Output file. Click the "Convert" button.

In the "Debug Command" window, the top text field will show the command line that is passed to the command line tool from the GUI. This can be copied and saved for use with the command line tool in a batch file. The bottom text field shows the results passed back to the GUI from the command line tool.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Gordon

0 Kudos

astro_goto
Contributor III

I appreciate the thoughtful responses to my SRecCvt-Gui problem which isn't a problem any more in WIN7, 64-bit in Virtual XP mode. 

I'd like to mention Gordon's book, "Programming the Motorola M68HC12 Family", which I keep real close to my worktable. I'm also indebted to Gordon Doughman for App Note AN974, the floating point software package. I've even extended it for computing arctan, arcsin, & arccos using the Cordic Algorithm.

0 Kudos

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

SRecCvt works correctly at my PCs (Win7-32bit and Win7-64bit).

In attachment you can find list of windows updates from Win7-64bit (Sorry, I don’t know how simply get list in text form).

Cannot be issue with SRecCvt related to rights? Did you try running SRecCvt with administrator rights?

Or disconnect PC from internet and try temporary disable your antivirus/firewall?

0 Kudos