NXP noobie questions (s12zvl)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXP noobie questions (s12zvl)

Miller-Spec
Contributor I

So I am spoiled from the Arduino world of programming and hardware. For the last 10 years I've used different variations of Arduino to bring my ideas to life. But I always knew I would eventually have to break out to a lower level. 

Well I bought a "DEVKIT-S12ZVL" development board and so far have been able to build and debug a simple counter program. But there's many many things I don't understand; and finding answers for the nxp line of micros seems very difficult. I want to use the NXP line of products because the features that it has will work well in my motorsport products. If anyone could help me out with any of these topics it would be greatly appreciated. 

1. IDE

I thought I downloaded the "special edition" code limited free version but for some reason it still is warning me that my license is about to expire? Did I download the wrong one some how or is this normal? Id like to make a working prototype before I purchase an ide that cost thousands of dollars...

2. Open BDM debug

This dev board came with a programming interface integrated but, If I do get to the point where I design a board with this IC what would be the best way to program the final products with minimal components needed? Should I order some other programming device? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply

stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Regarding 1) You perhaps downloaded the evaluation version of IDE which means it is full feature for 30 days. After 30 days and it switches to feature limited (special edition) version that is permanent (it does not expire).

The main limitation of Special edition license  for S12Z is C object code size limited to 64KB 

2) Probably the most common debugging/programming probe for S12Z is Pemicro Multilink Unversal/ Universal FX

As a very low cost alternative for programming/debugging you can perhaps re-use OpenBDM from an existing EVB. This may require some hardware adjustments. All you need on MCU PCB side is bdm signal header.

Hope it helps.

Stan

0 Kudos