Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Bug 12 Boot Loader problem

Jump to solution
gabyqua
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm just a student and we were taught a microcontroller course using an s12 univ eval board. The debug and target MCUs are mc9s12dg128. At the beginning of our course we loaded the sermon s19 file through the bootloader so we can use codewarrior. I finished that course, however, when I tried to program flash again because I want to try d-bug 12 instead of codewarrior, boot loader does not respond. The boot loader options look like this:

D-Bug12 Bootloader v1.0.0

a) Erase Flash

b) Program Flash

c) Set Baud Rate

d) Erase EEPROM

?

However when I press any letter, the terminal doesnt echo the letter I typed, and the option menu doesn't show up again. The options show up again only when I press the reset switch of the debug MCU. This is the only time it doesn't work and I have been using this bootloader many times. Is it possible that the target or debug MCU is damaged? Seems like there is no response when I select an option in bootloader. Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You didn’t write, whether you tested this board on another PC.

If not, I would like also recommend check settings of serial port at your computer.

The factory configured default communications parameters used by D-Bug12 are 9600 baud, eight data bits, one stop bit, XOn/XOff handshaking and no parity.

Additionally you should check jumper positions on board, especially J10, J11 and J5. These jumpers should be in position 1-2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gabyqua
Contributor I

Thanks for the reply guys. I tried to do it in our campus labs and it worked. I think it's because of the rs232  to usb converter.

0 Kudos
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, that could be also potential reason.

I already met with USB to serial converter based on Profilic PL2303 driver which was not able transfer signals with XOn/XOff handshaking (communication without flow control works correctly).

I tried also reinstallation of software driver, but without success. So, there was HW issue.

But now I have USB to serial converter based also on Profilic PL2303 and it works correctly.

So, if you can, please change USB to serial converter and test it on the same computer.

0 Kudos
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You didn’t write, whether you tested this board on another PC.

If not, I would like also recommend check settings of serial port at your computer.

The factory configured default communications parameters used by D-Bug12 are 9600 baud, eight data bits, one stop bit, XOn/XOff handshaking and no parity.

Additionally you should check jumper positions on board, especially J10, J11 and J5. These jumpers should be in position 1-2.

0 Kudos
GordonD
Contributor IV

Gaby,

I'm not sure I can say what's going on. I have one of the S12UB boards hooked up here and the bootloader works OK. You might want to take a look at the RxD pin with a scope on the S12DT128 (POD) to make sure there's not a problem with the RS-232 level translator (U14).

Regards,

Gordon

0 Kudos