C compilers

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C compilers

RChapman
Contributor I
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:16 pm    

Is ther one compiler for the S12X or are there different compilers for the CPU12X and the Xgate.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:50 am    

Hi !

As we say in French, I'll make a "douanier" (=custom officer) answer:
Yes... and No !!!

From the litterature I read, there is not really any CPU12X, that's an S12 with an X-Gate.
It seems like different compilers (CPU & XGate don't handle the same thing) but you can have both included under the same IDE (interface).
For instance you would have the full monty with CodeWarrior...
The weirdest is the debugger with its 1000000 windows Shocked Coz there's double the stuff to debug now Mad

Should be awright for whose who know how to write soft... I may stay with HC08 then Very Happy

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:06 am    

You write " there is not really any CPU12X, that's an S12 with an X-Gate.".

This is not true. The S12X core has significant instruction set improvements compared to the HCS12. Here are a few examples:

- There are new 16-bit arithmetic and logical operations that can be made directly on memory, that did not exist on the HCS12. For example you can increment a memory word, on the S12X. In the case of the HCS12 you had to bring it first from memory to a CPU register, increment it, then store it back in memory.

- There are new 16-bit addition and subtraction operations that simplify arithmetic of 16-bit and larger variables.

- The MOVB and MOVW (move byte and move word) instructions have been enhanced to include all possible intexed addressing modes.

- There are new commands "GLDxxx and GSTxxx" to load and store from any location in the Global memory space of 8MByte. This allows easier handling of pages data, that is stored in FLASH for example.

The instrctions set enhancements of the S12X makes it more efficient. Comparing optimised S12X code to optimized HCS12 code, even when executing both at the same frequency, and not using the XGate, there is a performance increase of 10% - 30% on the S12X.

If you add the increased S12X speed (40MHz bus speed vs. 25MHz on HCS12), and the added XGate coprocessor, you see a dramatic performance increase in the range of 100% - 400% from HCS12 to S12X.

Hope this helps,
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:32 am    

I take it you work for Nohau correct? Just curious at this point Laughing
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:22 am    

That's right. I am working for Nohau. Currently in the last debug stages of a new S12X full-emulator...

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:05 pm    

Cool, It sounds like you are an engineer there. How soon do you estimate that to be available. Any chance of passing a free sample this way? Very Happy
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:25 pm    

We are two people working on the HC12 line on a full-time basis. Ocasionally we have more people working on it too. We have the BDM S12X support already available a few moths now. In two weeks we will start rolling out the S12X full-emulator systems to customers. I am afraid no free samples - the full-emulator is an expensive piece of equipment. Even its assembly cost is measured in the thousands of dollars. We are however priced below the competition.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:22 pm    

Was worth a try Smile

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:03 pm    

Question I've got a comment / question.... Is everyone as dissatisfied as me with Metrowerks? I've never used a compilier that I can't trust.... until now.... Had a lot of problems compariing signed / unsigned numbers, using an unsigned char as an index to an array.....The list goes on... Had to remove processor optimizations to get the code working properly..... Anyone had any luck with either IAR or cosmic? Please advise!! Thanks

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:09 pm    

I can honestly say that I have never had those problems, but as Jared said in the previous thread, I only code in assembly. I can't say if that is the problem or not, but it has worked for me.
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:22 pm    

Quote:
Question I've got a comment / question.... Is everyone as dissatisfied as me with Metrowerks? I've never used a compilier that I can't trust.... until now.... Had a lot of problems compariing signed / unsigned numbers, using an unsigned char as an index to an array.....The list goes on... Had to remove processor optimizations to get the code working properly..... Anyone had any luck with either IAR or cosmic? Please advise!! Thanks

BTW in future try to post questions like this in only one place. I'm sure everyone who reads here will see it. This is probably a more apropriate thread but read your post in the other one first. Take care
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies