P2041 RDB to implement DPI, DPAA, and intrusion prevention

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2041 RDB to implement DPI, DPAA, and intrusion prevention

corbysable
Contributor I

I saw that this forum is for Reference design boards.

I am new to the P2041 processor and its programming.

I would like to use the P2041 RDB to implement DPI, DPAA, and intrusion prevention,  I looked at the Freescale documents pertaining to these features per the P4080 and P2041 since they have similar architectures.  I have some questions per my application:   I would like some assistance please.

I would like to send over a network video to and  from a central office to a remote location in a conference.

As I understand it, Deep Packet Inspection and Data Path Acceleration Architecture and Intrusion Prevention processors, i.e., P2041 and even the P4080 processor are installed at a Headend or central office.

Is it sufficient to install only DPI & DPAA & Intrusion inspection only at the headend?  Or does DPI and DPAA need to be installed with a P2041 at both the remote location and headend locations maximum security and monitoring?  Since video is transmitted to and from the headend and remote location?

If DPI, DPAA, Intrusion Prevention is installed at the headend only, how does the this headend know if there is any faults in DPI, DPAA, etc at a remote end?  How can the headend P2041 determine any faults?  Or is a P2041 required at both ends?

Thanks for you assistance.

Corby

Message was edited by: Monica Arvizu

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

See below comments from technical support:

Generic network security concepts shall be distinguished from chip-level features.

DPAA is a chip-level component that accelerates certain tasks, such as packet parsing, pattern matching and encryption/decryption. It is _not_ a complete implementation of DPI or IDS/IPS.

DPI and IDS/IPS are concepts. Systems that follows them can be implemented with or without DPAA, on a Power or on another architecture processor. The choice of particular security protocols and other information protection mechanisms is up to the system implementer.

More information about IDS/IPS and DPI can here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion_detection_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection

0 Kudos