LS1012a PFE ELF binaries on BusyBox rootfs

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1012a PFE ELF binaries on BusyBox rootfs

nineteenalready
Contributor II

I've built from CodAurora sources Linux v5.6 kernel and using `flex-installer` successfully installed bootpartition and for rootfs, I've chosen a simple busybox. But no ethernet devices were detected.

Later found out that there are ELF binaries in `/lib/firmware`, and on Ubuntu 16.04 rootfs (which is guided by NXP), they are probably used via Systemd udev. 

ppfe_class_ls1012a.elf: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, eXcess: 16/32/64-bit, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
ppfe_tmu_ls1012a.elf: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, eXcess: 16/32/64-bit, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

So I naively copied binaries to my busybox rootfs, and got error of improper executable file. I need aarch64 ELF binaries.

I found DPDK project on CodeAurora, but I found its build management way too hard.  I followed guide, but got lost in terms, targets, seems, it's configuring Meson first, but then on `ninja install` it asks me to AUTH to Meson, whaaat?

I just want to have those 2 PFE ELF binaries cross-compiled to aarch64 to make PHY Ethernet work on non-systemd rootfs (simple busybox)! Please tell me that I dont need systemd and how to properly prepare these user-space binaries.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Sabr Zhan,

In Linux Kernel source code, please run make ARCH=arm64 menuconfig

and configure Linux Kernel module as the following

-> Device Drivers
    -> Staging drivers (STAGING [=y])

[*]   Freescale PPFE Drive

After rebuild Linux you will get drivers/staging/fsl_ppfe/pfe.ko, please copy pfe.ko to the target board and execute the following command.

insmod pfe.ko

If there is not PPFE driver in you Kernel source code, please refer to https://community.nxp.com/thread/525798 to download PPFE driver and do the porting by yourself.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos