In LS1043A, SERDES Clocking Query

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In LS1043A, SERDES Clocking Query

logeshs
Contributor II

In LS1043A, Please confirm the Clocking and Reset Sequence.

(Please correct if my understanding is wrong,)

Step 1: SYSCLK, DDRCLK needs to supplied before asserting PORESET is Asserted.

Step 2: After Desassertion of PORESET RCW data is loaded and HRESET is remain asserted.

Step 3: LS1043A PLLs (Platform, Core, other PLLs including SerDesPLL)begins to lock as per the setting in RCW data.

Step 4: HRESET is Deasserted.

My Actual doubt is does SerDes Reference clock(100MHz - PCIe and 100/156.25MHz- SGMII/XFI)  need to be provided at which step of above sequence? or We shall provide SerDes Reference clock after deassertion of HRESET(STEP4)?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

friedrichs
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a similar question regarding PCIe endpoint mode in LS1046A. In my case the PCIe endpoint port is driven by an external SerDes reference clock provided by a separate host system.

1) Is it allowed that the LS1046A boots up before the SerDes clock is available and stable?

2) If yes, will link training start automatically?

3) Will successful link training be reported to the endpoint driver as Link Up Detected (LUD) event/interrupt through register PEX_PF0_PME_MES_DR?

4) What happens if the SerDes clock goes away after the PCIe link has been established, e.g. host is restarted? Will a Link Down Detected (LDD) event be reported to software in this case?
5) Will link training start again once the SerDes clock is back?

Any clarification is appreciated!

Kind regards,
Friedrich

0 Kudos

r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

The LS1043A reference manual says:

The detailed POR sequence for the device is as follows:

“1. The external system logic asserts PORESET_B and power is applied to comply with the chip's hardware specification data sheet .

1. PORESET_B asserted causes all registers to be initialized to their default states and most I/O drivers to be released to high impedance (some clock, clock enables, and system control signals are active).
  2. The system applies a toggling SYSCLK signal and stable POR configuration inputs. At this point, SYSCLK is propagated throughout the device; the platform PLL is running in bypass mode.
  3. The device begins driving HRESET_B asserted after sampling the assertion of PORESET_B.
  4. External system logic negates PORESET_B after its required hold time and after POR configuration inputs have been valid for their required setup times.
  5. The device samples the RCW source POR configuration inputs (cfg_rcw_src[0:n]) on deassertion of PORESET_B to determine the RCW source. Note that the POR configuration inputs are sampled only on a PORESET_B.
  6. The device initiates and completes reset of the rest of the platform logic. Note that this platform reset step is the point where the device hard reset process (HRESET_B) begins if an external device asserts HRESET_B (assuming the device is not already sequencing through the power-on reset process).

…”  and so on.
So before the SYSCLK power should be applied and PORESET is asserted. At that moment (3) the SerDes Reference clock also can be applied if the Serdes is used. Otherwise the SerDes Reference clock input can be connected to the GND. When serdes is used after completing reset, software should check the SerDesx_PLLnRSTCTL[RST_DONE] field to make sure that each active SerDes PLL on the device has locked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos