The delay time of ethernet ping on i.MX8QXP platform exceeds 2ms

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The delay time of ethernet ping on i.MX8QXP platform exceeds 2ms

fangyang
Contributor I

The end-to-end delay test result of the ping tool exceeds 2ms. The normal delay time should be within 1ms. After investigation and analysis, it is confirmed that the data frame transmission completion interrupt and ping response data reception interrupt are both too late. The time interval from data sending to network card FIFO to network card generating transmission completion interrupt exceeds 900μs. In addition, the time interval from the data transmission completion interrupt to the ping response packet data reception interrupt is also close to 900μs. These two time delays are the main reason why the direct connection test result of ping exceeds 2ms. How to solve this problem from the software level?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @fangyang,

Could you please confirm if you try loopback what the scenario is?

Thank you.
Best regards,
Dhruvit.

0 Kudos

fangyang
Contributor I

Lookback is normal,very small delay time within 1ms.And I also tried ping test between two PCs with direct connection,result is smaller than 1ms.

0 Kudos

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @fangyang,

Could you please provide me with the Ping tool and the network setup you have used for the end-to-end delay test, as it depends on several factors?

If you are using the command line Ping utility then it measures RTT (Round-trip time) delay to measure ping time.

However, the Wireshark network analysis tool is recommended to measure timing delays.

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit.

0 Kudos