cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDGD3100I3PH5EVB

luonghuy15
Contributor I

Hello all & happy new year 2024.
I have an issue related to RDGD3100I3PH5EVB, I tried to use a single leg (V-phase) of the inverter by injecting PWM signal but the output of the gate driver does not change and the INTB LED are on as in the picture. How can I solve this issue and can you provide me more detail documentation about pin configuration of this evaluation board apart from what had been published. 
P.S: I used an STM32F4 since I don't have the MPC577x microcontroller.414478893_2726836204131578_1729498555296607700_n.jpg

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

luonghuy15
Contributor I

Thank you for your answer. I have been very busy on other works lately. Here are some update:
1. Unfortunately, I have checked our EVB board and found out that it was broken before this post (2 out of 6 gate drivers are dead). We are trying to buy and replace them. 
2. I have plan to buy MPC5777C EVB or MPC 5775E EVB to use along with this EVB. Can you provide me a quote about those?
3. Does NXP have a discount policy for university student? To be honest, my budget is quite small but i really want to try out NXP's microcontroller.

0 Kudos

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Luong,

Healthy & successful New Year!

The most likely fault is either a deadtime fault (DEADT bit in the STATUS2 register) based on the PWM signal, or a desaturation fault (DESAT in the STATUS1 register) if the GD3100 has been configured that way. 

If you have SPI capability, you can read the STATUS1 and STATUS2 registers to find out which error is present.

Deadtime fault:

• To provide sufficient deadtime, use the integrated deadtime on your MCU providing the PWM pulse train. If this isn't the case you can add an asymmetric RC delay circuit with an antiparallel diode to acquire "fast" turn-off and "slow" turn-on behavior to satisfy the GD3100 deadtime detection.
  • If you have the ability to configure the gate driver by SPI, you can mask the deadtime fault (DTFLTM = 0 in MSLK2 register) or set the deadtime value to match the PWM signal provided (use DEADT[3:0] in the CONFIG5 register) to eliminate this.

Desaturation fault:

Can occur without a power device connected, due to the open collector pin: the DESAT pin immediately charges and trips and the gate is shut down. This is a severe fault with a power device attached, so the gate is latched off. You would see no gate movement in response to the PWM input signal on a scope, and zero difference in the supply current between PWM going vs. PWM off.

• A hardware workaround for this, would be to connect a wire short from the collector pin to the emitter pin (no connection to the gate pin) until you connect a power device.
  • In software, you could disable the DESAT mode bit (in the MODE1 register) until you can attach the power device. By default this mode is already disabled.

BR, Tomas

0 Kudos