cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC8309 JTAG initialization failure

sreeharicp
Contributor I

Hi all,

I have designed my custom board with MPC8309. I have selected boot from NOR  flash i.e., RESET_CONFIG_SOURCE  = "0000". I am trying to program uboot bin file using USB code warrior tool. But, it is showing initialization failure.What could be the reason?

When discussed with NXP forum, they suggested to select RESET_CONFIG_SOURCE [0:3] is ="1000" and program uboot bin file at the location 0xFE000000.Then fix the RESET_CONFIG_SOURCE [0:3] ="0000". With this USB code warrior tool detects the board and we are able to program the uboot and its working fine.

Is their any option which avoids this switching from RESET_CONFIG_SOURCE [0:3] = 1000 to RESET_CONFIG_SOURCE [0:3] =0000?

0 Kudos
8 Replies

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

MPC83xx family supports reset configuration override function. To do that, please open USB TAP properties:

Edit - Preferences - Remote Connections - CodeWarrior USB TAP - Change

A new page with USB TAP properties will be opened, at this page please enable checkbox "Use JTAG Configuration file", click "Chose" button below and pick JTAG chain file from the following folder:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Freescale\CodeWarrior PA V8.8\PowerPC_EABI_Support\Initialization_Files\jtag_chains\"

As far as I can see, there is only one file for MPC8309 - 8309SOM_HRCW_jtag.txt for "SOM" board.

Please look file contents to check if HRCW value is suitable for your case. If not than please create a new file using this file as reference.

Have a great day,
Alexander
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

sreeharicp
Contributor I

Dear alexander.yakovlev,

I have done what you have suggested still its not working. Please

find attached screen shots and Jtag cfg file and init file for your

reference.

Regards

sreehari

0 Kudos

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. Please enable "verify memory writes" checkbox in "Target Configuration" (file 3.jpg)

2. At screenshot 5.jpg please press button for Details and submit the details

3. Please submit your JTAG/COP header connection schematic

0 Kudos

sreeharicp
Contributor I

Dear Alexander.yakovlev,

Please find attachment of screen shots and JTAG schematic pdf file.

Regards

sreehari

0 Kudos

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thank you.

Attached partial schematic does not show, how COP signals COP_HRESET and JTAG_TRST are connected to the processor.

0 Kudos

sreeharicp
Contributor I

Dear alexander.yakovlev,

Please find attachment of full schematic, COP_HRESET is going to

cpld MaxV and PORESET also and based on these two signals we are

generating MPC_RESET to MPC8309(PORESET).

Regards

sreehari

0 Kudos

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Is it possible to temporary re-program your CPLD to route COP_HRESET to processor HRESET instead of PORESET?

The reset configuration override function does not work if COP_HRESET is routed to the processor PORESET

0 Kudos

sreeharicp
Contributor I

Dear Alexander.Yakovlev,

I have modified in my CPLD logic COP_HRESET to processor HRESET

instead of PORESET still it is problem, Previously we are getting

initialization failure and after modification we are not getting

initialization failure but it is keep on showing initializing. Please

find attached screen shot.

Regards

sreehari

0 Kudos