Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PF8100 OTP Programming

Jump to solution
omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm evaluating the PF8100 PMIC for use in a project and have a question about the OTP feature. I currently have the evaluation board for the 8100 (KITPF8100FRDMEVM) and am using the FlexGUI utility to set up the configuration. It seems that the PMIC has a blank OTP configuration, and when the PMIC is powered none of the outputs start-up (as expected). Is it possible to configure the OTP registers using the evaluation board, or do you have to use the OTP programmer (PF8200/PF8100 Programming Board | NXP )? It seem like you should be able to to program the OTP through the GUI as the OTP registers have a Write button, however if I try to write a value to an OTP register and the read it back it returns to the default. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jinyuzhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Omar

Nelson is correct, you need to use In TBB mode.

You are right, PF8100/PF8200 on KITPF8100FRDMEVM is blank in OTP , because OTP is one time program, if we burn the OTP, the configration will never be changed by default when it power up. 

There is a TBB mode (Try before buy mode), in which customer can do some test for their applicaiton , i recommend you to read the user guide of the EVM, there is a detail description to introduce the procedure. https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM11160.pdf 

You can configrate the power up sequence as you want in the OTP mirror register when TBBEN is high , and then set POWRON high to test the power up sequence.when VIN is lose , the TBB set will disappear.

BRs

jinyu  

PMIC and SBC question

View solution in original post

6 Replies
omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

Hi everyone, thanks for the help! TBB is indeed what we need to use, and we've now got everything running using TBB on the evaluation board.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
nelson_scheja
Contributor III

I think the TBBEN pin is needed for what you want, see chapter 17 in datasheet. It should be possible to alter the OTP mirror registers then.

However I got the same or a similar problem: Writing to any register above address 0xA0 seems to have no effect.

0 Kudos
omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

Additional question - is there any way to test the sequencing of the PMIC without doing OTP? From testing the sequencing is not applied when transitioning from standby to run mode and toggling pwron results in the functional registers being cleared. Is there a different way of forcing a reset, while keeping the contents of the functional registers, so that sequencing can be tested.

0 Kudos
jinyuzhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Omar

Nelson is correct, you need to use In TBB mode.

You are right, PF8100/PF8200 on KITPF8100FRDMEVM is blank in OTP , because OTP is one time program, if we burn the OTP, the configration will never be changed by default when it power up. 

There is a TBB mode (Try before buy mode), in which customer can do some test for their applicaiton , i recommend you to read the user guide of the EVM, there is a detail description to introduce the procedure. https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM11160.pdf 

You can configrate the power up sequence as you want in the OTP mirror register when TBBEN is high , and then set POWRON high to test the power up sequence.when VIN is lose , the TBB set will disappear.

BRs

jinyu  

PMIC and SBC question
nelson_scheja
Contributor III

Hi Jinyu,

one more question from my side: Is the usage of TBB feature also possible with a device that has already a fixed OTP programming burnt?

0 Kudos
jinyuzhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, when TBBEN is high , the OTP mirror register will not load the value from OTP fuse, so the TBB mode can also work even the OTP is burn.

PMIC and SBC question