cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FS6500 CAN Communication

mmurugesh
Contributor II

Hi,

I am using FS6500. I just want to use it as CAN transceiver. I don't want to implement any safety related features.

Should I need to configure or check any registers in FS6500 through SPI?

If any, pls give your advice.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

AllanAn
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Murugesh,

some registers of FS6500  can only be configured in the initial phase; some can be configured in normal mode;

register.PNG

please see the picture below about the SPI:

SPI.PNG

SPI2.PNG

for more details, please refer to the datasheet of FS4500~FS6500 in the https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/mod_download.jsp?colCode=FS6500-FS4500&appType=moderatedWith...

Brs

Allan

0 Kudos

AllanAn
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Murugesh ,

Thank you for the question,

First, CAN_5V voltage regulator is not a safety regulator:

can1.PNG

Secondly, when you use FS1b, you should refer to INIT_FAULT register to configure FS1B_CAN_IMPACT to 0, which will be configured in the initial phase.

can2.PNG

for more detailed, please refer to https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/mod_download.jsp?colCode=FS6500-FS4500&appType=moderatedWith...

Help this will help you

Best regards

Allan An

0 Kudos

mmurugesh
Contributor II

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to just elaborate my question..

Previously i was working with NXP evaluation board and used FlexCAN0 in MPC5744P. The CAN transceiver used in that board was MC33901. It's a standalone CAN transceiver. CAN communication was working good enough.

Now instead of MC33901, i used FS6500 and made the CAN interface connections as depicted in the application note. But the CAN communication is not working.

My question is... Should i need to configure any of the registers in the FS6500 through SPI before starting the CAN communication?

I just only want to have CAN communication. I am not interested in any of the safety related features right now.

0 Kudos

AllanAn
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Murugesh,

OK, got it , you should configure CAN_LIN_MODE register, configure CAN_MODE_1:0 to "11",

the default CAN state is sleep;

can3.PNG

if the problem is still exist please check DIAG_VSUP_VCAN and DIAG_CAN_FD registers to find if there are CAN power supply and physical connection errors.

Help this will help you.

Brs

Allan An

0 Kudos

mmurugesh
Contributor II

I am trying to write the FS6500 registers. But it is unsuccessful.

I want to know about the SPI wave format to be used..

1. Classical SPI or Modified SPI transfer format?

2. About the Clock polarity and phases?

0 Kudos