Can you program PCA9632 with non-default settings?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you program PCA9632 with non-default settings?

Jump to solution
CoryP
Contributor I

Hi, I need a PWM controller to control the brightness of a set of LEDs and I'm considering using the PCA9632. This is perfect for my needs except for one thing.

The power-on configuration appears to be SLEEP with 0% duty cycle on all outputs. I'd prefer if it could power on directly into OSC on, with 50% duty cycle on one of the pins. From my understanding of the datasheet, this must be programmed on every power-on.

Is there a way to configure the power-on defaults so that I don't have to create a script to send 3-4 of the same I2C commands on every power-up? This would complicate things because I would need my microcontroller to do this while it powers up at the same time as this chip.

Thanks,

Cory

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Cory,

Thank you for considering the PCA9632 for your application.

As you correctly stated, the oscillator is off (low power mode) and duty cycles in PWMx registers set to 0% by default.

Unfortunately, the PCA9632 does not allow to pre-configure the default settings in OTP or similar, it needs to be set every time the power is turned on.

Regards,

Tomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Cory,

Thank you for considering the PCA9632 for your application.

As you correctly stated, the oscillator is off (low power mode) and duty cycles in PWMx registers set to 0% by default.

Unfortunately, the PCA9632 does not allow to pre-configure the default settings in OTP or similar, it needs to be set every time the power is turned on.

Regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos
CoryP
Contributor I

Ah I see, thank you for clarifying.

0 Kudos
CoryP
Contributor I

Oh wait, one more question: Do you know if NXP has any similar product in the same family that does allow this?

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Unfortunately, currently not.

0 Kudos
CoryP
Contributor I

Ok I see. Thank you again for the information!

0 Kudos