bootloader flash programming over devicenet? - 56F8322.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bootloader flash programming over devicenet? - 56F8322.

DaveD
Contributor I

Hi, I am looking for help regarding devicenet.  I am using the 56F8322.  What I would like to do is to be able to load the configuration file to the micro over devicenet.  I have seen the app note AN3312, but that is not what I am looking to do.  I will have an s-record file on a pc.  This pc will have a devicenet master card.  Is there a way to bootload directly from the devicenet master to the micro?  Through what micro pins would I do that?  Do I need another micro (as in AN3312) to do this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Added p/n to subject.

Message Edited by NLFSJ on 2008-07-17 07:37 AM
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jeypi
Contributor I
You can also use a serial bootloader? You can send the S-file from hyperterminal or use the srecLoad to send it. Look this document: 83xx_bootloader. You can find in freescale site (support -> documenation).

Best regards,

João Paulo. 
0 Kudos

ChrisN
Contributor II
Hello,

Under no circumstance will you need another micro to do the programming. The chip is perfectly capable of in-circuit flash reprogramming. Also, if you want to limit the flash programming to just a portion of the flash (e.g. for configuration tables) you can easily do that.

We offer a (commercial) CAN/CANopen bootloader for the 56F8322 and other members of that family. I know it's not DeviceNet but if your DeviceNet master card allows for generic CAN message send and receive it should be easy to write an application-level loader for our bootloader. Perhaps DeviceNet process data messages can be "abused" to implement the CANopen SDO protocol needed for the transfer? All we really need are two CAN messages - one for transmit and one for receive.

Correct me if I am wrong but DeviceNet doesn't allow for generic, flexible-length block data transfer so you'll need some added-on proprietary method anyway, right?

Please contact me with a personal message if you would like to follow-up.

Chris
0 Kudos