Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TJA1043 ERR_N pin voltage is abnormal during the cold start stage

Jump to solution
Original-1
Contributor I

Dear NXP Colleagues:

We use TJA1043 as CAN Transceiver. We found an abnormal voltage on the ERR_N pin during the cold start stage. ERR_N pin cannot be pulled high for 35.5ms. You can get more information from the attached picture. We want to know how ERR_N works and its internal block diagram.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Yang,

This spike happens at the beginning stage of Vio rising to the working voltage, which means MCU initialization is not finished already and would not have reliability issues.

Best regards,

Tomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Rashmi073
Contributor I

Hi NXP team,

I have tried to create the new ticket but i couldn't not.

So i just posting my queries here as the queries belongs to TJA1043 ERR_N pin monitoring.

1. ERR_N pin state is getting change during Bus off (CANH to GND/CANL to VBAT)

When CANH to GND, ERR_N pin is toggling

When CANL to VBAT, ERR_N pin is low

Because of the ERR_N pin state got changed during Bus off, we are setting the fault for both Bus off and ERR_N monitoring. can you please please confirm whether this is the expected behavior?

2.When we make CANH to VBAT or CANL to GND, CAN communication should be happen or not?

Because some times CAN communication is happening and sometimes is not happening

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Yang,

Section 7.2 of the datasheet lists the reasons for signaling on the ERN_N pin.

Please take a look also at Section 6.5 of the attached AH1014.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos
Original-1
Contributor I

Dear Tomas,

I have already read Section 7.1&7.2 of the datasheet and Section 6.5 of the attached AH1014. These Sections only describe the state of the ERR_N pin after power-on. But We want to know how ERR_N works at the beginning of power up.

Best regards,

Yang

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Yang,

TJA1043 ERR_N is not only relevant to power supply, but also relevant to its operation mode. Could you please also provide STB_N and EN in waveform when both VCC/VIO is ready?

TJA1043.png

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos
Original-1
Contributor I

Dear Tomas,

Thanks for the reply. According to your requirements,I have captured the waveform of STB_N and EN. You can see them in the attachment.

Best regards,

Yang

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Yang,

For the detailed description of ERR_N pin, please refer to the table below.

According to the signals, the TJA1043 should be in Standby mode, please check Wake flag.

image005.png

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos
Original-1
Contributor I

Dear Tomas,

I still have some doubts about the voltage on ERR_N pin. I know Pin ERR_N is an active-low output,when wake flag is availabe. But We observe a 300mV voltage on the pin,how to explain?

Original1_0-1658411887823.png

Best regards,

Yang

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Yang,

This voltage spike is the undetermined state of the MCU IO pins when Vio is powered. It should disappear if ERRN is disconnected from MCU.

And the question in the figure if pin ERR_N is an active-low output, why is the voltage not zero during this time?

Answer: VERR_N is 0.4V when it is at a low level.

Capture.JPG

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos
Original-1
Contributor I

Dear Tomas,

"This voltage spike is the undetermined state of the MCU IO pins when Vio is powered."

---Will this voltage spikes cause TJA1043 reliability failures?

Best regards,

Yang

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Yang,

This spike happens at the beginning stage of Vio rising to the working voltage, which means MCU initialization is not finished already and would not have reliability issues.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos