TJA1042TK/3 Damage from Hot Swap?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TJA1042TK/3 Damage from Hot Swap?

patryklaskowski
Contributor I

Has anyone had similar issues with the TJA1042TK/3 part?

I've had 3 different boards fail the same way. The TJA1042TK/3,118 seems to be damaged and is no longer converting anything from the digital side to the CANH/L. Both CANH/L signals are at gnd. 

Context:

This part is placed on a backplane that contains an MCU. There's a daughter card that gets inserted that talks to the MCU via CAM. This board is designed to be hot-swappable. 

After working for 1-2 weeks, the TJA1042TK/3 part has died and the CAM bus is no longer working. Replacing the part fixes the issue.

When it's failed, the CANH/L signals are at GND. Everything else seems to be fine including the STB signal (low).

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patryk,

I have not heard about such an issue before.

Some troubleshooting steps/considerations:

- Check the power supply: Ensure that the power supply voltage and current are within the specified operating range for the TJA1042TK/3. Voltage fluctuations or current spikes can lead to component failure.

- Hot-swapping considerations: Since the board is designed to be hot-swappable, consider if the hot-swapping process might be causing transient voltage spikes or other issues that lead to the failure of the TJA1042TK/3. You may need to implement additional protection measures during hot-swapping.

- ESD: The TJA1042TK/3 typically does not need further external protection diodes, but if higher protection is required, external clamping devices can be applied to the CANH and CANL line. For more information, please refer to the AH1014, section 8.3.

- Diagnostic tools: If possible, use diagnostic tools to monitor the CAN bus and see if any errors or issues are occurring before the TJA1042TK/3 fails. This might provide insights into the root cause.

I hope it helps.

BR, Tomas

0 Kudos