Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC33771B - Temperature Measurement

Jump to solution
Patrick_Pavle
Contributor III

Dear Community, 

Can the MC33771B also measure the temperature of the individual cells?
I have only been able to find out that the IC can measure undertemperature, overtemperature and the IC temperature.

best regards,

Patrick 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick,

Yes, the MC33771B (Advanced and Premium) provides 7 GPIOs which can be used as analog inputs for temperature measurement as described and illustrated in the Temperature channels section of the datasheet or in the Temperature measurement design section of the AN12963.

The conversion results are available in MEAS_ANx registers.

BR, Tomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick,

Yes, the MC33771B (Advanced and Premium) provides 7 GPIOs which can be used as analog inputs for temperature measurement as described and illustrated in the Temperature channels section of the datasheet or in the Temperature measurement design section of the AN12963.

The conversion results are available in MEAS_ANx registers.

BR, Tomas

0 Kudos
Patrick_Pavle
Contributor III

Dear @TomasVaverka.,

if there are only 7 NTCs, how can the MC33771B monitor 14 cells?

if i read out the register, how do i convert the value into temperature?

regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick,

It is usually not mandatory to monitor the temperature of all cells in the battery pack.

Temperature measurements are typically done with an NTC with a polarization resistor (10K recommended in our datasheets) connected to Vcom. Using a ratiometric measurement mode will allow to remove any error that could be coming from a variation of the Vcom voltage. Thus, better temperature measurement accuracy is achieved.

In ratiometric mode, the content of the GPIO measurement register (Code(Hexa) in the formulas below) depends only on the NTC resistor value (hence its temperature) and not on Vcom at all.

Capture.JPG

To calculate the NTC resistor value, one should use the following formula:

Capture 1.JPG

BR, Tomas

0 Kudos
Patrick_Pavle
Contributor III

Dear @TomasVaverka ,

I'm sorry but I don't understand exactly how to apply the formula.
if i read the register MEAS_AN0 i get the value 0x800E. but how do i get the temperature value?

BR, Patrick

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick,

The most common method to get the actual temperature based on the calculated NTC resistor value uses a lookup table (LUT), also known as a resistance table, normally provided by the thermistor manufacturer.

BR, Tomas

0 Kudos
Patrick_Pavle
Contributor III

Dear @TomasVaverka ,

so is there no other method for this? because i have an unknown battery module where i don't know what kind of ntc is used.

BR, Patrick

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick,

I am not aware of another simpler method, I am afraid you will need the specification of the RTC used in your battery pack.

BR, Tomas