cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I2C range extender PCA9507

roklipar
Contributor I

Hi guys.

I have two questions regarding PCA9507, I2C bus extender. 

Accoding to datasheet, distance, using this IC, is limited 1400pF or 18m on port A. 

My questions now are:

1. Is this limit, 18m, having PCA9507 on one side only or it has to be on both sides, if we talk about point-to-point?

2. If I have PCA9507 on both sides, is it OK to have port A towards each other, since there are rise time accelerators?

I am asking this since our board has HDMI input and output ports.

Thank you for your answers. 

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Rok

0 Kudos
5 Replies

guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

What's your meaning 'I have PCA9507 on both side '?

It can drive a load up to 1400 pF or distance of 18 m on port A, and 400 pF on port B. Capacitive load decide the distance.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

roklipar
Contributor I

Meaning that PCA9507 is on master and slave side, facing, with port A, towards cable or each other. 

I can understand that 1400pF is the limit which then defines the actual lenght of line or cable itself. 

+-----+                                                    +-----+

---B port ---|  IC  |-----A port------cable-----A port-----|  IC  |----B port-----

+-----+                                                    +-----+

0 Kudos

EricC5
Contributor I

I have the same question and I see it was not totally answered here...

Is it better to connect two PCA9507's port-A together or Port-A to B when sending I2C over a 3-foot cable?

My testing shows that Port-A to B seems to be more stable.

0 Kudos

guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

What 's your A port to A port distance?

0 Kudos

roklipar
Contributor I

Port A on PCA9507 (pins 2 and 3).

0 Kudos