cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification regarding NXP i.MXRT 1173

Usharani_1
Contributor II

Please clarify the following.

1. In MCUXpresso config tool V10.0, the following error raised while using SDK for i.MXRT 1170 and 1173. But it works fine with i.MXRT 1060. Please clarify.

MCUXpresso config tool with SDK of 1170 and 1173

Usharani_1_0-1646825795493.jpeg  

Usharani_1_1-1646825795524.jpeg

MCUXpresso config tool with SDK of 1060

Usharani_1_2-1646825795548.jpeg

2. Using MCUXpresso config tool, I have created 2 new .mex files, one for i.MXRT 1173 Cortex-M7 (CM7) and the other for i.MXRT 1173 Cortex-M4 (CM4).

For i.MXRT 1173 Cortex-M7 (CM7), all the files like pin_mux.c, pin_mux.h, dcd.c, dcd.h, clock_config.c, clock_config.c, peripherals.c, peripherals.h can be updated.

But with i.MXRT 1173 Cortex-M4 (CM4), the pin_mux.c,.h files and peripherals.c,.h files cannot be updated and are hidden. May I know why these files are not displayed in the config tool and how to update these files for CM4?.

Usharani_1_3-1646825795576.jpeg

Usharani_1_4-1646825795612.jpeg

Usharani_1_5-1646825795644.jpeg

3. I have created new projects in KEIL IDE for i.MXRT 1173 (Dual core) from scratch using SDK of 1173 (SDK_2_11_0_MIMXRT1173xxxxx). One KEIL project for Cortex-M7 core (CM7) and another project for Cortex-M4 core (CM4).

• May I know how to use files and drivers under KEIL -> Manage Run Time Environment and bring up the project?
  • Currently, I created the projects from scratch using 1173 SDK. Here I need to use FlexSPI Flash – XIP (Execute In Place) for CM7 and CM4. In the SDK of 1173, there is no XIP folder. But its present in 1176 SDK. May I know why?. Can we use this XIP folder in 1173?
  • As per Dual core execution, they mentioned CM7 will Execute in place in external Flash, whereas CM4 image will be loaded to internal RAM and execute from there. Can we execute CM4 image also in external Flash XIP?. If so, what are the things to consider like .scf file, etc
  • There is no QSPI Flash driver to flash download for 1173. Why?. But it is available for 1176. How to flash to External QSPI Flash without the flash driver. Is there any other way to flash?

KEIL Project window of 1173 does not have QSPI Flash driver to flash download

Usharani_1_6-1646825795669.jpeg

Usharani_1_7-1646825795699.jpeg

KEIL Project window of 1176 has QSPI Flash driver to flash download

Usharani_1_8-1646825795737.jpeg

Best Regards..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello
Hope you are well. Let me answer your questions:

1. This is due that you are not using the most recent version of the tool. The version you are currently using is not compatible with the most recent SDK release. Please use the most recent version.

2. The code cannot be updated due to the errors in the clock configuration. In the most recent version, there is a checkbox that allows us to update the modified code.

3. The flash drivers can be used among different devices from RT1170(e.g. 1176, 1173). For multicore projects, I suggest you start from the SDK, from there you can add your code. The hello_world example is a good starting point.

If you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me.
Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos

Usharani_1
Contributor II

Hi Omar,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I have updated the MCUXpresso Config tool to the latest Version 11.0. Now it can identify SDK of i.MXRT 1176 / 1173.

2. But the issue with point 2 still exists. Like pin_mux.c and pin_mux.h files in CM4 are not updated and they are not displayed in MXUXpresso Config tool.

3. Please clarify on the following

> To create new pin mapping in Dual core like NXP i.MXRT 1176/1173, Do we need to do all the pin mapping and configuration in CM7 only, or we can share the pin mapping and configuration between CM7 and CM4. Like, having pin mapping for LCD, Flexspi, SEMC, LPUART in CM7 and having pin mapping for GPIOs, LPI2C, LPSPIs, LPUART in CM4. Is it possible to do. If so how?

> I have created a new project using 'multicore Hello world CM4' example under MCUXpresso config tool. Here under the newly created project folder, only 'hello_world_cm4.mex' file is present in the created project folder for CM4,  and there is no .mex file present for CM7. May I know why?

> In this 'hello_world_cm4.mex' file, they have done pin mapping for LPUART1 and GPIO9 in CM4 core. I added in another GPIO and tried to update the code, but the pin_mux.c and pin_mux.h files under the project folder for CM4 is not getting updated. Moreover, pin_mux.c and pin_mux.h files are not displayed in MCUXpresso config tool for 'hello_world_cm4.mex' file. But on the right side under code preview tab of MCUXpresso config tool, 'pin_mux.c @Cortex_M7F' and 'pin_mux.h @Cortex_M7F' files are displayed with the added changes. May I know Why?

> Please send me the steps or any document that clearly explains the pin mapping and configuration using MCUXpresso config tool for 'Dual core' like i.MXRT 1176 for both CM7 and CM4.

Best Regards,

Usha

0 Kudos

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello
It is important to mention that the tool will generate one config file for each of the cores. In application note AN13264 you can find the steps to debug a multicore project: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13264.pdf
So each .mex file will be at its own core project making it possible to split pin configuration on each core.

This guide contains all the necessary information for using Config Tools: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/GSMCUXCTUG.pdf Since you are working on an existing project I suggest you refer to chapter 2.2.1.2.

If you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me.
Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos