cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM application compile guidance

mdurller
Contributor I

PGO,

Could you please provide more detailed build guidance for the USBDM applications package in Windows 7?

Specifically, I think it would be helpful to know what versions of the software packages you use are, and with what configuration options you compiled source package dependencies such as wxwidgets and xerces to make it all work. Personally, I tried using msys + mingw, apparently successfully, - but you may have done it differently?

Once egit is invoked from within eclipse I get many instances of "The currently displayed page contains invalid values " popup dialogues when C++ paths are clicked. Also, I am getting errors about -lusbdm-debug.4 missing from the linker, creating tons of java.lang.NullPointerExceptions. Do you have any hints or there some others steps involved to setting eclipse up right to build?

Thank you for your time.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

I've just added some instructions that describe how to build the various USBDM DLLs and executables.

I will upload a matching Zip file shortly to sourceforge,

Build instructions at USBDM (JS16 Minimal Version): Building USBDM Software.

0 Kudos

Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

Hi pgo,

I build successfully USBDM, but when I try to launch CFV1_FlashProgrammer.exe, it complains about msvcr90.dll, then crash whit Microsoft VC++ runtime error (R6034). I don't know why it want MS runtime lib because everything is compiled with mingw included libxerces and tcl.

I downloaded sources from github. I suspect libraries problems but don't know where.

I need to build "flash programmer" because I need to make my own custom build.

Any ideas?

Emmanuel.

0 Kudos

dickelbeck
Contributor II

How does one get the source to the applications?

0 Kudos

dickelbeck
Contributor II

The link to the "source" is broken from

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/

The link should probably say this instead:

https://github.com/podonoghue

0 Kudos

junker
Contributor I

Bump.  I too am having similar issues.  I've tried a few different versions of Eclipse, no success.  Any guidence would be very helpful in setting up the proper build environment.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

I thought that using EGit would reduce the difficulty in copying the software.  In practice it hasn't worked out that way.

Including the Eclipse project config files in the GIT repository doesn't work because they contain too much PC-specific information.  I did not think this would be a problem as you could simply open the properties after importing into Eclipse and look for the inappropriate  bit such as paths and fix them.  Unfortunately this doesn't work as the files end up corrupted when opened on the target machine.  So I have excluded them from the repository.

I am trying to see what is a workable approach.  I suspect this will involve initially exporting the projects and re-importing on a target machine and then using GIT to keep the source code (.cpp etc) up to date.  I haven't worked out all the bugs in this process yet!

Alternatively if there is a makefile expert out there it would be a more portable solution to change over to makefile based projects but this would involve a lot of work.

bye

0 Kudos

dickelbeck
Contributor II

I definitely recommend using CMake to maintain the build instructions.  It will make your life easier.

Needed:

1) Cmake installation

2) CMakeLists.txt file, which has a number of targets in it.

The above is pretty easy.

Then if you really want to get fancy, look at kicad winbuilder as an upper level graduate course in using CMake, building wxWindows, and doing most all the downloads.

https://launchpad.net/kicad-winbuilder

0 Kudos