USBDM - Version 4.10.4 (RS08/HCS08/HCS12/CFV1/Kinetis BDM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM - Version 4.10.4 (RS08/HCS08/HCS12/CFV1/Kinetis BDM)

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

USBDM has been updated to V4.10.4

Please post any queries on this version in a separate thread - I really can't cope with this newfangled setup!

Documentation available at: SourceForge

Applications available at: SourceForge

Source code is available at: GitHub eventually.

bye

Note

• Please note that these design are different from the Freescale OSBDM-JM60 design which was proceeding independently while I was doing the above designs.

USBDM V4.10

=========================

V4.10.4 (January 2013) -

- Added support for Codewarrior 10.3 Release (This version does not work with the BETA)

- Added customisable security options to programmers

- Improved HCS08/HCS12 programming speeds (15~30%)

- Added Codesourcery and USBDM API examples to installation

- Updated/added Codesourcery instructions to help files

- Numerous bug fixes to GDB Server

- Improvements to handling secured devices

- Added Examples to installation

- Added OpenSDA firmware (This allows use of FRDM-KL25 board as general purpose Kinetis BDM)

V4.10.3 (November 2012) -

- Updated device driver installation (V1.0.1) (removed unnecessary driver).

- ELF Files now supported for MC56F80xx devices.

- Changed to shared DLLs build for wxWidgets.

- Bug fixes:

- DSC Access to ONCE registers when target running

- Fixed BDM doing reset when setting target even if already powered.

This was interfering with doing a 'gentle' connection to a running target.

- ARM interface now reports access errors on failing memory access rather than following access.

- Corrected corruption in large reads for ARM GDI Interface.

0 Kudos
46 Replies

juanmanuelmerca
Contributor I

Hello pgo, could you tell me if the USBDM with the JS16 is supported by CodeWarrior Eclipse V10.2 ? Because I connect but it given't me options of USBDM for the connection type settings, I only see the OSBDM of PEmicro.
In V6.3 CodeWarriror I tried it and it works. I have to install something else? Can you explain how? Thanks.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Juan,

I just checked my installation of CW 10.2 with USBDM and it seems to work OK.

Could you uninstall and re-install the USBDM software and check that the Codewarrior 10.2 option is selected in the installation and points to the correct directory?

CW10-2.png

Note:  I don't do much testing with CW 10.2.  I would recommend updating to 10.3 (unless its Linux)

bye

0 Kudos

hanqi1236
Contributor I

Dear pgo,does it support the DSC in codewarrior 10.3?

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Han,

Sorry the DSC support is very limited in general due to the large variety of programming algorithms needed.

The support in CW 10.3 is not really useful as the Codewarrior software uses an undocumented extension so I can't make it completely functional.

bye

0 Kudos

ofirbitton
Contributor I

Dear Pgo,

Since you updated support for Kinetis Arm-Cortex

Does the programmer supports P\N: PK60N512VLQ100 (Arm Cortex M4)

Do you have Linux Command-Line application for programming?

Do you know what is the estimated shipping time to Israel?

where can I purchase the programmer?

Thank you

Ofir

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Ofir,

I have a K60 tower board that I have tested USBDM with.  This has a similar chip to the one referenced so I expect it to work OK.

(Deluxe version (JTAG) and SWT versions only)

bye

0 Kudos

lin-yinglee
Contributor I

Dear pgo,

In USB.C file.

The ep1SaveOutData() function.

I think that changed to the following form appropriate.

memcpy(ep1State.dataPtr, ep1DataBuffer, ep1BDT.byteCount);

changed to:

memcpy(ep1State.dataPtr, ep1DataBuffer, size);

static U8 ep1SaveOutData( void ) {

U8 size = ep1BDT.byteCount;

if (size > 0) {

if (size > ep1State.dataRemaining)

size = ep1State.dataRemaining;

if (ep1State.dataPtr != NULL) {

// Copy the data from the Rx buffer

( void )memcpy(ep1State.dataPtr, ep1BDT.byteCount);

ep1State.dataPtr    += size;   // Advance buffer ptr

}

ep1State.dataRemaining -= size;   // Count down bytes to go

ep1State.dataCount     += size;   // Count bytes so far

}

return size;

}

I am Taiwanese, and English is poor, please forgive me!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Thanks Lin-Ying,

I've fixed it in the working version so the fix will appear in 10.5.

I don't believe it affects anything unless the USB protocol fails but it's best to be careful.

bye

0 Kudos

Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

Hi pgo,

I would suggest some improvement for "flash programmer ".

- add an "ERASE" button (in the 2nd tab).

- add a 4th tab named "Serialize", with functions to program  serial numbers, mac addresses, date code, etc....

- introduce project concept to store all settings (trim frequency, Hex file, secure opt, flexNVM opt, serialize opt, etc...) in a project file.

Regards,

Emmanuel

0 Kudos

TOMXUE
Contributor II

Hi, pgo:

Now I am doing something on the MC56F8257 DSP, is the USBDM support this series

of DSP's JTAG debug interface?

Many thanks,

Tao

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Tao,

USBDM does support MC56F8257 but there may be some limitations as I have not used this chip apart from some basic testing.

It is not supported in Codewarrior V10.

bye

0 Kudos

Macias
Contributor I

Dear PGO,

I've problem with running my application from ram CFV2 MCU  (MCF52235). I'm using USBDM_CF_JMxxCLD_V3 with CodeWarrior 10.3. When I'm trying to run code from ram I get this message: Failed to resume target process., Downloading binary to target...

Please help me.

Regards,

Macias

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Macias,

I haven't specifically tested using  RAM target with the CFV2 devices.  If you can provide some details about your setup I will try to see what is happening.

• OS
  • Software (Codewarrior version V7.2 10.1 etc)

Thanks

0 Kudos

joncas
Contributor II

Dear PGO,

The USBDM 4.10.4 installer completes fine under Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, but the driver installer fails -- Windows 8 just cryptically says the installer ended prematurely. Do you have any recommendations on whether it should succeed or if I can supply any additional information to help track down the cause?

Many thanks!
Robert

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Robert,

I haven't tested Windows 8 and I don't have a machine to test on.

You can try using zadig to install the winusb driver:

Home · pbatard/libwdi Wiki · GitHub

Please let me know if this works OK.

Also - if successful would you please post the contents of the driver directory in the C: drive root that the installer creates.

Thanks

0 Kudos

joncas
Contributor II

Dear PGO,

Trying the Zadig installer displayed the offending error message which is that Windows 8 now enforces signed drivers.

In a Zadig discussion group, someone posted how to disable that policy:

Yahoo! Groups

1.From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).

2.Click `More PC Settings'.

3.Click `General'.

4.Scroll down, and click `Restart now' under `Advanced startup'.

5.Wait a bit.

6.Click `Troubleshoot'.

7.Click `Advanced Options'

8.Click `Windows Startup Settings'

9.Click Restart.

When the computer restarts, type the number that select `Disable driver signature enforcement` from the options list. You can now load your modified driver. Reboot again once the driver is installed.

After this, your driver installer ran fine (one has to confirm three times that one wishes to install an unsigned driver), and a USBDM_CF_JMxxCLD_V3 is recognized by the programmer utilities.

Now, oddly, the USBDM_JMxxCLD which works under Windows 7 with the same firmware and software, is not recognized by the HCS08 programmer. It shows up under the device manager with the same vendor and prod IDs as the CF version, but the HCS08 programmer doesn't find it, whereas it does see the CF version.

Do you have any clue to why that might be? Is there some change in the firmware of the CF version that's not carried over into the non-CF? (I tried both 10.4.0 and 10.4.4 flash images -- both work under Windows 7, but neither in Windows 8).

UPDATE: on a new day, after updating Windows 8 with its latest updates, the non-CF now also works -- sorry for bugging you!

But I would still be interested to learn whether your future firmware upgrades will continue supporting the USBDM_JMxxCLD hardware?

Many thanks!
Robert

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Carlos,

I have a try with FreeMaster when I have a chance.  Thanks for the example.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Hello PGO, since some versions I have been unable to use Freemaster with the DLL that the USBDM installer provides. I've always had to go back to the original DLL of freemaster to make it work, this trick stopped working since the 3 number versioning was added to the firmware (4.10.2 for example) but in past topics you've always said that it works with the new DLLs that each USBDM version provides.

I get this message:

01.png

Trying to make something about it I added ";C:\Program Files (x86)\pgo\USBDM 4.10.4\" to the PATH environment variable and got some improvement:

02.png

But I still have this message when starting Freemaster:

03.png

And this other one when clicking "Test Connection"

04.png

Am I missing something? I hope you can help me. Thanks.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Carlos,

The maintainer of Freemaster contacted me a little while ago for some information to assist with updating the USBDM interface.  I'm unsure if all the changes have been implemented but I have just downloaded the current version of FreeMaster and the connection dialogues and such differ considerably from the those you have given above.

Note that there is now an "obsolete' driver - this seems to agree with the dialogues you have shown.  I tested with the

Freemaster BDM Commuinication Plugin.

A quick check seems to show that it connects correctly with the BDM.  Could I get you to check if you have the latest version?  It appears that the version number may not completely reflect changes to the the interface version.

I do not actually used FreeMaster so I cannot judge if it is working correctly.  I have only done a basic connectivity check.

If it is practical could you do the following:

• Download the latest version
  • Create an example basic project for some common target - whatever you have.
  • Save this (somehow)
  • Post here so I can do a more thorough check - without having to learn all the details of how Freemaster works!

Thanks.

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

You're right my Freemaster version was outdated, I installed the latest one (1.3.15.0 from July 27, 2012) and everything is working fine.

I made a simple Freemaster connectivity tester with a QG8, I attached the files in a zip.

The *.S19 needs to be written to a QG8 as you know. With 39.0625kHz Trim Frequency

The *.PMP opens with FreeMaster.

The *.ABS is required by FreeMaster to know about symbol's names, locations and data widths, as you surely also know.

The *.PMP and *.ABS need to be uncompressed to the same folder in order for FreeMaster to find the *.ABS

The firmware just reads all the ADC external and internal channels, and the FreeMaster project reads the array in which the values are saved and plots them. You can attach a potentiometer to each channel to test it.

P.D. Interestingly the crosstalk between floating-pin channels is evident, as they get contaminated by the channels that do have a voltage to read.

PlotScreenshot.png

0 Kudos

raining
Contributor I

dear pgo

I tried to use the "HCS08 Programmer", "Trim frequency" always seems to 31.25KHz, after the download is complete, any suggestions? :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos