cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM HCS12_FlashProgrammer Problems

austincopeman
Contributor I

Hi,

I've been trying to flash my Dragon 12+ board with the USBDM and have been running into some issues. I am trying to replace the D-Bug12 monitor with the serial monitor but am running into issue. I have followed the instructions from Wytec USBDM OSBDM I have installed everything. One of the things though is that the USBDM shows up as a universal serial bus device instead of Lib-USB-Win32 device which I dont know if this may be causing the issue. After that I run the HCS_FlashProgrammer application, the application shows that it recognizes my BDM(USBDM-JS16-0001). After that I go over to target and hit detect chip and i receive the following error "The device appears to be secured and does not support SYNC. The currently set bus frequency is an approximation and may not be sufficiently accurate for unsecuring the target. Please manually set the bus frequency before programming."

So I manually enter in the chip of the which is DG-MC9512DG256 and I load the hex file sm_and_test_dr12p_rgb_8mhz.s19 which I had downloaded from www.evbplus.com set erase options to erasemass and hit program flash and recieve another error "Programming of the target flash failed! Reason:Failed to read from the target"

To me this is because it is not detecting my Dragon 12+ board but I really dont know. Any help would be great!

0 Kudos
8 Replies

ihorkocherha
Contributor I

Hi, guys!

I have two boards with the same controller(MC9S12E64CPVE). Using "Flash Programmer" program I am trying to detects chip. For the first board everything is ok and chip detects, but for second board I have the error "failed to probe target; reason: target is secured.". Controller have good 5V power. Maybe is this chip locked? How to unlock it?

Thanks.freescale_error.bmp

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Austin,

It looks like a problem with the programmer or the connection to the target.

Have you used the programmer with any other targets (if you have any)?

Few things to check:

• Check that the 6-pin cable is OK  A continuity check would be a good idea.
  • Check the orientation of the connectors
  • Are there any other connections to the BDM pins on the board.
  • Is the BDM powered correctly from the target.
  • I believe the board two 6-pin BDM connectors. Are you using the correct one?

I have check operation with a Wytec BDM and it works fine with a similar chip (I don't have exactly the same device to test with).

bye

austincopeman
Contributor I

pgo,

Thank you for your fast response, the USBDM is brand new just arrived in the mail yesterday. I did however check teh 6 pin connector for continuity just in case and it was all good. What I did realize is that I was plugging the BDM in the BDM OUT on the Dragon 12 board instead of the BDM IN.

However, I am now receiving a new error "Failed to connect to target. Reason: General Fail(for compatibility)". I am receiving this error whenever I press Detect Chip. The Dragon board is powered on along with the Wytec BDM. I do not have another target to use the programmer on. I have taken a picture of what my setup looks like (if that helps at all)WIN_20140213_081136.JPG.jpg

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Austin,

I'm sorry I don't have much to suggest!  It looks like it should work.

A few more things to check:

• Remove the jumper from the BDM so it is NOT powered.  It should then be getting interface power from the target.  Confirm that the red LED on the BDM remains lit.  This indicates that it is correctly receiving power from the target.
  • If this is the case I can't think of much else to easily check unless you have an oscilloscope.  If you do you can check for activity on the BDM pins (reset and BKGD) when it is trying to connect.
  • If you don't have an oscilloscope you can do some static tests with a voltmeter using the TCL command interpreter provided with USBDM.  These tests are described at:

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.10/USBDM_JS16/html/tips_page.html

See the section

Testing the BDM hardware

bye

0 Kudos

austincopeman
Contributor I

pgo,

Thanks for all of your help, after a day of thinking about it i realised that the problem may of been that I had been using a usb extension cord so I would be able to have the dragon board and BDM on my desk and not on the floor.After removing the usb extension cord the LCD display finally read BDM mode was successfully able to flash my Dragon board. Thank you for your help!!!

0 Kudos

michelferia
Contributor I

Hi 

I' trying to use a Dragon12-Plus2 board but I'm getting the same issue.

I do not have any usb extension cord, however, I'm using a USBDMLT with 4.12 drivers and 4.10.6 software. I'm using also CodeWarrior 5.1 for HS(X)12 processors and my SO is windows 10.

I you have some ideas it will be much appreciated

Thanks with regards

Michel Feria

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Michel,

Please try the following (if not done already):

• Install the current version of the software and driver.
  • Confirm that the BDM appears correctly in device manager as a USBDM BDM Interface under Debugging Interface
  • Update the BDM firmware to the version included with the installed USBDM software. See  USBDM: BDM Construction and Firmware 
  • Try the stand-alone programmer and describe the results for detect and Mass erase etc.
  • Try the suggestions on USBDM: Troubleshooting USBDM 

You really need to describe the actual results you are seeing.

bye

0 Kudos

netfish
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

I have the same issue, "Failed to connect to target. Reason: General Fail (for compatibility)".

I updated the firmware to V4.12.1, the same as my software.

I checked that the tool is listed as USBDM BDM Interface under Debugging Interface in device manager, and detected as USBDM-JS-0001 in programmer.

I am using HCS12 standalone programmer and target device is MC9S12D64 which is totally OK when used with P&E multilink.

Any advice?

Edwin

0 Kudos