My USBDM (JM32) fails to work (leds don't light, reset doesn't go low)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My USBDM (JM32) fails to work (leds don't light, reset doesn't go low)

Jump to solution
balint
Contributor I

Hi guys,

I have received a PCB from 2012 with a JM32 controller, and have built a USBDM ARM-SWD, Coldfire V1, HCS Minimal Hardware, using firmware version 4.10.6.

Initial programming was OK (using a PEMicro programmer), Win7 sees it correctly, I can do firmware update, set serial number.

But:

- leds are dark, they never light up, never blink;

- I can not switch on/off/set the target VDD voltage to 3V. It is always switched on (5V);

- I can not change the state of target reset pin - it is always high (5V). For testing I have used USBDM TCL interpreter. BKGD pin state change is OK!;

- I can not connect to any target device, auto target detection does not work.

So it seems it works, but not perfectly. Since the hardware itself is very simple, I assume this can be a firmware problem.

What do you think?

Since I have never used USBDM before, I don't know how it should work normally, but I think at least LEDs should be active.

Please help me to get it work!

Thank you very much in advance!

Balint

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Balint,

It may be a mismatch between the Hardware and Firmware version.

Can you identify the Hardware more clearly? A web reference of a photo would help.

Also the JM32 versions only support JTAG not SWD so I suspect you are using the wrong firmware.  See the table on this page:

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/

bye

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Balint,

It may be a mismatch between the Hardware and Firmware version.

Can you identify the Hardware more clearly? A web reference of a photo would help.

Also the JM32 versions only support JTAG not SWD so I suspect you are using the wrong firmware.  See the table on this page:

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/

bye

0 Kudos
balint
Contributor I

Hi pgo!

Thank you for your answer!

The hardware is USBDM_CF_JMxxCLD_V3 (USBDM: USBDM/CF (combined RS08/HCS08/HCS12/Coldfire V1,2,3,4/DSC/Kinetis code) for JM32/60) with M9S08JM32 CLD controller.

The firmware I managed to program is USBDM_JMxxCLD_V4.sx (USBDM Firmware Updater allows only this one).

After your message I have found the problem.

Initially (when I borrowed a PEMicro programmer) unfortunately I programmed a wrong firmware version into the controller. After this step I have used only Firmware Updater, and it allowed only the wrong firmware to (re-)program (I think it checks the actual firmware, not the hardware).

So, actually it was my mistake.

But - if I may suggest - it would be very useful to have some kind of explanation for flash image file name abbreviations, because for me (as a beginner in the field of Freescale microcontrollers) file names were a little bit confusing, that's why I made the initial mistake.

The other thing is that perhaps would be better, if Firmware Updater would check the actual hardware - not the firmware - when it suggests or chooses the image file to program.

Anyway this project is very useful and easy to make, so I can only recommend it for Freescale users!

Thank you for your valuable help!

Best regards,

Balint

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Balint,

Unfortunately there is no practical way that I can check the actual hardware as there isn't a simple hardware difference that allows identification.  I suppose I could have added an external strapping to indicate this but it didn't think of it at the time :smileyhappy:

I will have a think about the name - perhaps a read-me file with the flash files would help.

bye 

0 Kudos