TagXpolorer UI alternative - configuring many NTAG 424 DNA stickers?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TagXpolorer UI alternative - configuring many NTAG 424 DNA stickers?

manuel_mertl
Contributor III

Hi!

I am finally at the stage where I am able to correctly configure my NTAG 424 DNA using the TagXplorer UI.

But configuring one 424 DNA sticker takes me about 5 minutes or so (connecting the sticker to my reader, setting mirroring features, setting padding values, setting keys, changing key values etc.)

If I would have to configure hundreds or even thousands of these tags it wouldnt be possible like this.

Is there a command line tool or similar that i can use to perform the same actions that i perform with the TagXplorer UI but in an automatic way (patch-process etc.), or how would one configure thousands of these tags?

Thanks,

jonathaniglesias‌ :smileywink:

Best,
Manuel

9 Replies

JRIB
Contributor I

I find myself in the same situation as Manuel, but 3 years later. Any idea if it was solved and how? any help would be welcome.

0 Kudos

What USB NFC reader/writer are you using to program your DNA 424s with TagXplorer?

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Manuel Mertl,

Hope you are doing great,  I am not aware of a command line sw or something for this, usually customers have the option to use out Secure Services for the NTAG Product Family | NXP   where a customer can pay for the NTAGS already programmed with the information you need and with the keys and set up all of this is done in a secure environment, rather than a customer having someone using a non secure environment where  keys can be exposed,  but if you already have the tags the best would be that you use out tagwritter app for android devices,  you can program the tags with the SUN message and only use the tagxplorer app to modify the key values. 

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

there is at the end the option to write multiple tags,  so you put one by one until you finish only you will need to do this  key change on other application like tagxplorer.  maybe this can help accelerate your process.  before doing the process from above I would recommend doing it on one tag to confirm the set up is correct then proceed to do it on all of your tags.

hope this helps. if you still have issues please let me know.

Have a nice day !
BR

Jonathan

thiscafer
Contributor I

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the text you wrote. could you give an explanation for the change after step 13 ? 

0 Kudos

manuel_mertl
Contributor III

Hi, jonathaniglesias‌!

Thanks for your comment above, but using the app will not work for my use case.

I have now over 500 tags and lets say i want to configure them the following way:

tag nr. 1:

https://myurl.com?n=1&t=dummytextNR1&enc=00000000000000000000000000000000&cmac=0000000000000000

and using 2 different keys

and then tag nr.2:

https://myurl.com?n=2&t=dummytextNR2&enc=00000000000000000000000000000000&cmac=0000000000000000

and using 2 different keys

etc.

meaning i have different keys, but also different values in the URI etc.

I would need now some kind of command line tool or some kind of code that I can execute to do that automatically.

Wouldn't i be able to maybe call function directly on the TagXplorer.JAR file via commands or are there Java libs that help me to achieve things like:

- setting keys

- writing NDEF URI structure

- setting offset values

- etc.

Thanks,
Manuel

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Manuel,

I am sorry for the delay, I have checked internally, maybe our card test framework can help you, you can do a script there and  program several tags, one by one,  the thing is that you will need to sign an NDA with NXP and then download this using out Docstore platform. 

I have no experience with this so  I cannot help much on how to do a script there but  if you have questions let me know.

BR

Jonathan

manuel_mertl
Contributor III

hmmm thanks for your answer. Do you know someone within NXP who knows about the tools that are available?

I guess there has to be some kind of tool either a CLI-tool or Python-lib, Java-lib, etc. that I can connect to my custom software to actually write and read automatically to these tags.

I guess everyone who wants to write to lets say 200+ NTAG 424 Tags will want or actually need to do that in an automatic way, right?

jonathaniglesias‌ maybe you can tag people here that you know might know more about what tools/libs i can use to do this.

Thanks

Best,
Manuel

manuel_mertl
Contributor III

anyone who can help me?

0 Kudos

camerling1
Contributor I

Dear Manuel,

I think this can be done with a computer and a NFC reader attached to it.

Don't mix 2 things:
- The way you communicate with the readers
- The communication with the chip itself.

1. About librairies
You can use open source solution like : https://github.com/nfc-tools/libnfc
Or proprietary solutions from pc readers manufacturers. (Identiv, Siemens ...)
Or even the 'Windows' librairy PCSC if you are using Windows.

Anyway, you will have to use a langage that support the kind of librairy you choose, mostly Java, C, C# and even JS with node.

2. Programming the ntag42x
Endly, you have to elaborate a communication with the chip, programming it via APDU commands.
This is the hard part. You can construct this nibble code discussion between your program and the chip by reading documents like the AN12196.pdf from NXP.

From my point of view, your question touch the heart of the developper's problem when using NFC. This is herited from the history of NFC and proprietary positions from manufacturers and integrators.

Regards,
Emmanuel (France).