cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pres Check - Mifare Classic

Jump to solution
ignacioinda
Contributor I

I am currently working on a card reader and am having trouble detecting when a card will be removed from the magnetic field.
I am working with the pn5180 chip and the NXP library, to detect the presence of the Mifare Desfire cards I use phpalI14443p4_PresCheck() but this does not work with the Classic

Could you help me.
Thank you very much

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlexanderB
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @ignacioinda ,

the PresCheck() cannot work with a MIFARE Classic. A MIFARE Classic operates at ISO/IEC 14443-3 level (often refered to as Layer-3) while a MIFARE DESFire operates at ISO/IEC 14443-4 (often refered as Layer-4). 

The PresCheck() is based on sending R(NAK) frames which are part of Layer-4. A Layer-3 card, such as MIFARE Ultralight, Classic, NTAG, etc... (NFC-Forum T2T) will not understand that frame. 

If you want to mix a Classic (L3) and DESFire (L4), or potentially other tags as well, I highly recommend you to go through the ISO/IEC 14443-3 and 14443-4 specifications to understand the differences of those cards and further how to operate them. 

There are also other standards available covering essentially the same. For example ECMA or NFC Forum. Maybe you find something usefull by googling. 

To detect the removal of L3 (Classic) card I would recommend a WUPA loop.

Best regards, Alexander

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexanderB
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @ignacioinda ,

the PresCheck() cannot work with a MIFARE Classic. A MIFARE Classic operates at ISO/IEC 14443-3 level (often refered to as Layer-3) while a MIFARE DESFire operates at ISO/IEC 14443-4 (often refered as Layer-4). 

The PresCheck() is based on sending R(NAK) frames which are part of Layer-4. A Layer-3 card, such as MIFARE Ultralight, Classic, NTAG, etc... (NFC-Forum T2T) will not understand that frame. 

If you want to mix a Classic (L3) and DESFire (L4), or potentially other tags as well, I highly recommend you to go through the ISO/IEC 14443-3 and 14443-4 specifications to understand the differences of those cards and further how to operate them. 

There are also other standards available covering essentially the same. For example ECMA or NFC Forum. Maybe you find something usefull by googling. 

To detect the removal of L3 (Classic) card I would recommend a WUPA loop.

Best regards, Alexander

0 Kudos
ignacioinda
Contributor I
Thank you very much for your help, it helped me.
0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I'm looking into this issue, but you can download the package SW352233 and have a try, there are many examples for reference.

Best Regards,

Thanks,

kelly

0 Kudos
ignacioinda
Contributor I

if I was looking at the examples but I did not find anything related to what I am looking for

0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

if you use our evaluation board(PNEV5180), and then Example1 will be working. If you want to detect the action of card present, then you can configure IRQ_ENABLE register and call API  phhalHw_SetConfig(pHal, PHHAL_HW_CONFIG_RFON_INTERRUPT, PH_ON);

Best Regards,

Thanks,

kelly

0 Kudos