cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIMXRT1170-EVKB virtual mass storage device missing

Robinson2715
Contributor II

Hi all

My MIMXRT1170-EVKB does not show a mass storage device when connected to the PC via the debug USB. I am planning to use the board with a Model Based Design application from Simulink. 

This is what I have done:

- I followed and completed the steps on this manual Getting Started with the i.MX RT1170 Evaluation Kit | NXP Semiconductors. Notice that the manual does not corresponds exactly to a "EVKB", so I downloaded the corresponding SDK and manage to run the example in the videos. However, when trying to complete Step "2.5 PC configuration", the provider driver was not compatible with my board. The board was immediately recognized by windows and the virtual com port appeared. However, the virtual mass storage device is not present. I don't have any unidentified device in the device manager. Am I missing a driver?

- I followed the steps on Model Based Design Toolbox - Quick Start Guide (nxp.com). to test a "hello world" example from Simulink. Once again, these steps are meant for the "EVK" version but this time I did not adapt any step. The hello world example there compiles properly (i.e., c-code is being generated and a .bin and a .hex files are generated), but It cannot flash the device as the virtual drive is not present. 

- Thinking that the problem is that my board does not have open SDA enabled by default, I checked the document "MIMXRT1050 EVKB Board Hardware User’s guide". In section 2.11, it states " If developer wants to make OpenSDA going to the bootloader mode, J27 should jumper to 1-2, and press SW2 when power on".  That is very confusing English. Do I need to put a jumper in J27 to enable OpenSDA in bootloader mode? Checking a picture of the board, I can't find a J27 (MIMXRT1170-EVK | NXP Semiconductors).

Thanks for any hint on what I am doing wrong. 

Róbinson 

Additional information

- I am using Windows 10, Matlab 2019b. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Robinson2715
Contributor II

Hola

I actually did not came across that error. Did you manage to flash the board with the SDK examples within the MCU software? That would allow you to determine if there is a problem with your hardware rather than configuraiton....

Regards

Róbinson

0 Kudos

DavidQIAN
Contributor I

Using the official MCUXpresso IDE, I can successfully light up the green light on the board. the green light flashing once almost every one second.

But in the Simulink MBDT environment, the normal burning process cannot be achieved.

For example, when I open the following MBDT example:

Toolboxes\NXP_MBDToolbox_IMXRT1xxx\IMXRT_Examples\imxrt117x\gpio\gpio_interrupt

This example cannot be flashed onto the board.

In the Simulink environment, I only modified the download under hardware board settings,

changed the type to MCU link,

and then added an MIMXRT1170_SFDP_QSPI.cfx file, which is located under Toolboxes\NXP_MBDToolbox_IMXRT1xxx\tools\MCULink\Flash.

Do I need to modify other options?

Such as the MCUX Configuration Tools location under tools paths;

and the SDK location?

thanks for answering

0 Kudos

Robinson2715
Contributor II

I followed exactly the same process as you did... 

Do you have exactly the same board MIMXRT1170-EVKB?

You can check (somewhere) in the MCU software debugging options, which .cfx file is being used. It would be good to double check that it is the same file I got. Unfortunately there is not much more I can tell you. ...

0 Kudos

Robinson2715
Contributor II

I solved my own problem in the meantime. In the hardware settings in Simulink, I have used MCU link instead of OpenSDA. I provided as configuration file the one called "MIMXRT1170_SFDP_QSPI.cfx". That seems to be working properly. 

DavidQIAN
Contributor I
Hello, Robinson. I encountered the same problem as you.

Similarly, I chose to use MCULink and then selected the file MIMXRT1170_SFDP_QSPI.cfx.

However, when finally burning, a problem was prompted and the message was

"Problem occured while writing application on target. Check that the MCU Link probe is connected".

Did you finally succeed in burning?
Did you encounter the same problem as me?

thanks for answering my question
0 Kudos