lwIP initialization problem (init task vs init function with FreeRTOS)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lwIP initialization problem (init task vs init function with FreeRTOS)

pmrlcbtcphtzjdq
Contributor III

I have a problem with initializing the lwip.
I want to intialise components for my board in a function before the task scheduler starts. I have a problem with it: the lwIP initialization works if initialized with a task, but the same code doesn’t work when run as function. What I mean with this is that the application crashes when I wish to use the stack. The netconn_recv() or netconn_send() functions simply make the board freeeze.

This works (main.c):

/* Write your code here */
  /* Initialize and configure clocks */
    CLOCK_SYS_Init(g_clockManConfigsArr, (uint8_t)CLOCK_MANAGER_CONFIG_CNT, g_clockManCallbacksArr, (uint8_t)CLOCK_MANAGER_CALLBACK_CNT);
    CLOCK_SYS_UpdateConfiguration(0U, CLOCK_MANAGER_POLICY_AGREEMENT);

/* Initialize pins */
    PINS_DRV_Init(NUM_OF_CONFIGURED_PINS, g_pin_mux_InitConfigArr);

/* generate a struct with paramaters for the init function, and place it on the heap */
    taskParams *initParams;
    initParams = (taskParams*) pvPortMalloc(sizeof(taskParams));
    SemaphoreHandle_t ptr_binary_sem;
    ptr_binary_sem = xSemaphoreCreateBinary();
    initParams->binary_sem_ptr = ptr_binary_sem;

/* create Tasks */
    xTaskCreate(vInitTask, "InitTask", 256U, (void*)(initParams), 10, NULL);
    xTaskCreate(vUDPpingpong, "UDPpingpong", 256U, (void*)(initParams), 9, NULL);
	xTaskCreate(vBlinkLEDTask, "blinkLEDTask", 256U, NULL, 1, NULL);

vTaskStartScheduler();
  /*** Don't write any code pass this line, or it will be deleted during code generation. ***/

And this doesn’t work (also main.c):

/* Write your code here */
   /* Initialize and configure clocks */
    CLOCK_SYS_Init(g_clockManConfigsArr, (uint8_t)CLOCK_MANAGER_CONFIG_CNT, g_clockManCallbacksArr, (uint8_t)CLOCK_MANAGER_CALLBACK_CNT);
    CLOCK_SYS_UpdateConfiguration(0U, CLOCK_MANAGER_POLICY_AGREEMENT);

/* Initialize pins */
    PINS_DRV_Init(NUM_OF_CONFIGURED_PINS, g_pin_mux_InitConfigArr);

/* generate a struct with paramaters for the init function, and place it on the heap */
    taskParams *initParams;
    initParams = (taskParams*) pvPortMalloc(sizeof(taskParams));
    SemaphoreHandle_t ptr_binary_sem;
    ptr_binary_sem = xSemaphoreCreateBinary();
    initParams->binary_sem_ptr = ptr_binary_sem;

/* initialize tcpip */
    initFunc();

/* create Tasks */
    xTaskCreate(vUDPpingpong, "UDPpingpong", 256U, (void*)(initParams), 9, NULL);
	xTaskCreate(vBlinkLEDTask, "blinkLEDTask", 256U, NULL, 1, NULL);

vTaskStartScheduler();
  /*** Don't write any code pass this line, or it will be deleted during code generation. ***/

I am pasting underneath the code I use for initalisation - as you can see it is the same code for a task or for a function:

void initFunc(void){
    /*init the internet stack */
       tcpip_init(NULL, NULL);
       enetif_init();
  }

VS

void vInitTask(void* pvParameters){
 	/*init the internet stack */
    tcpip_init(NULL, NULL);
    enetif_init();

vTaskDelete(NULL);
   }

I tried to debug the code, but it simply crashes when I wish to recieve or send packets over UDP. It is difficult to say what is the reason - all the functions are called with correct arguments and all function calls looks exactly the same in both cases. I do not understand the assembly debugger enough to be able to figure out any differences.

I am using MPC5748G board from NXP.

Does anybody know what could be the reason of such behaviour?

One more piece of code - my enetif_init() function:

static void enetif_init(void)
  {
      for(int i = 0; i < ENETIF_NUMBER; i++)
          {
          ip4_addr_t ipaddr, netmask, gw;
         struct netif *mynetif;

ip4_addr_set_zero(&gw);
          ip4_addr_set_zero(&ipaddr);
          ip4_addr_set_zero(&netmask);
         /* network_interfaces[i] takes the IPV4 addresses from the respective configuration */
         if ((!netif_cfg[i]->has_dhcp) && (!netif_cfg[i]->has_auto_ip))
         {
           IP4_ADDR((&gw), netif_cfg[i]->gw[0], netif_cfg[i]->gw[1], netif_cfg[i]->gw[2], netif_cfg[i]->gw[3]);
           IP4_ADDR((&ipaddr), netif_cfg[i]->ip_addr[0], netif_cfg[i]->ip_addr[1], netif_cfg[i]->ip_addr[2], netif_cfg[i]->ip_addr[3]);
           IP4_ADDR((&netmask), netif_cfg[i]->netmask[0], netif_cfg[i]->netmask[1], netif_cfg[i]->netmask[2], netif_cfg[i]->netmask[3]);
         }
         mynetif = netif_add(&network_interfaces[i], &ipaddr, &netmask, &gw, NULL, enet_ethernetif_init, tcpip_input);
         netif_set_up(&network_interfaces[i]);
         netif_set_default(&network_interfaces[i]);

}

0 Kudos
2 Replies

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I can see in the documentation:

lukaszadrapa_0-1607589265838.png

And then I can see that tcpip_init is in the mentioned api folder. That means the OS must be up and running to be allowed to call this function.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos

pmrlcbtcphtzjdq
Contributor III

thanks for the reply!
Actually I managed to solve the problem initialising with the vApplicationDaemonTaskStartupHook(void) function.
This kind of function runs before all the tasks start, however it uses all the functionality of a running os (threads etc). In order to setup this kind of startup  the configUSE_DAEMON_TASK_STARTUP_HOOK needs to set to 1 in FreeRTOSConfig.h.
shortly speaking - create a function with this name, put yout initiliasation code in it, and set the proper variable in config file.
More information about it can be found here: https://www.freertos.org/a00016.html 

0 Kudos