cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeRTOS on MPC5644A?

louishdy
Contributor II

Hi everybody,

I begin this discusion because I would like some informations about the RTOS on MPC5644A (e200z4 Core). We use the FreeRTOS/OpenRTOS/SafeRTOS.

Then, I would like to know if somebody already tried to put one of this real time operating system on this PowerPC. Otherwhise, could you give me some advice for the choice of the RTOS?

Best regards. :smileyhappy:

Louis

0 Kudos
8 Replies

georgeciusleanu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Take a look at freertos.git - Automotive FreeRTOS Tree 

It's a port of FreeRTOS we did for MPC5746C.

Porting to other part with a PPC compatible core and upgrading to latest version of FreeRTOS should be easy.

Regards,

George

0 Kudos

IF_Team
Contributor I

Hello, 

is there any  port of freeeRTOS  taht does not imply the use of processor Expert and could be used as a base for a port to MPC5744P microcontroller? The link provided in 2018 is currently broken. Is taht port still available somewhere? thank you very much. Marco

0 Kudos

sunbinkang
Contributor I

Hello All

please let me know how to porting ChibiOS on the MPC5748G MPC core...?

now i'm using latest version(16.1.5) of ChibiOS... is it possible to share porting layer...? 

there is no any reference code for MPC574x MPC core or Power Architecture..

0 Kudos

alexvinchev
Contributor V

Take a look at ChibiOS (ChibiOS free embedded RTOS - ChibiOS Homepage ). It has port for power architecture and should not be big deal to adapt it to your micro. I've ported it to MPC5748G and GHS. I think this is very good embedded RTOS for small footprint applications.

louishdy
Contributor II

Hello Vinchev,

Thank you for your answer. The problem is the license for GHS is really expensive. But I am going to look for ChibiOS.

Thank you

0 Kudos

bdn
Contributor III

Hello,

is your ChibiOS port for the MPC5748G open source?

How long did you approximately work on it?

0 Kudos

alexvinchev
Contributor V

I've changed porting layer, mainly because of usage of GHS instead of GCC and board definitions file to adapt to MCU and board specifics. You are not obliged to use GHS and you'll have less work to do if you use GCC-like compiler, because GCC is the original compiler, used by ChibiOS. Porting is quite fast, for OS you mainly have to change context switch code and add PIT for the OS tick.  In order to run test/benchmarking you have to develop also serial port driver to take data out of MCU.

Maybe a week should be sufficient as time and then it comes to testing. ChibiOS code is quite good, for over a year I didn't found major problem in the OS kernel, even if I'm evaluating very old 2.6 release.

There is no public release of the port, since not many people are using GHS and I have no time to do the same for GCC. At the time when I was playing, GCC was not officially released yet for MPC5748G.

sunbinkang
Contributor I

Hello Vinchev

please let me know how to porting ChibiOS on the MPC5748G MPC core...?

Now a days i'm using latest version(16.1.5) of ChibiOS and also poring ChibiOS on the MPC5748G MCU..

but there is no any reference code for MPC574x MPC core or Power Architecture.

is it possible to share porting layer...?  or how to implement to porting layer...? 

0 Kudos