MCF54418CMJ250

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCF54418CMJ250

arunkannan
Contributor III

I have a Netburner device NANO54415 which uses MCF54418CMJ250 Coldfire microcontroller.

I need to recover the firmware from the device as I don't have the source code for flashing to other devices.

https://www.netburner.com/products/system-on-modules/nano54415-ethernet-system-on-module/

Is there a way to recover the firmware for flashing to other devices.

Can we use OpenOCD or some other utility tool to recover the firmware from the Netburner?

Labels (1)
2 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

You can do it, with Abatron 2000, don't know about Netburner, but the if firmware is binary there is no way to recover the source code.

Regards

0 Kudos

arunkannan
Contributor III
Alternate Boot Monitor: The NANO54415 has an Alternate Boot Monitor that can be used for recovery. You can access it by shorting the recovery jumper during boot. This allows you to download a new application via network or serial port1.
AutoUpdate Utility: This utility can be used to download new applications to the device. It requires the application file in the _APP.s19 format.
OpenOCD is a powerful tool for debugging and flashing microcontrollers, but its support for Cold fire Covered California microcontrollers like the MCF54418CMJ250 is limited. OpenOCD primarily supports ARM and FPGA devices2. However, you might still be able to use it with the right configuration files and JTAG interface3.

Steps to Recover Firmware
Connect via JTAG: Use a JTAG interface to connect to the microcontroller.
Dump Firmware: If OpenOCD supports your microcontroller, you can use it to dump the firmware. You will need to provide configuration files for your JTAG programmer and microcontroller.
Analyze Dump: Once you have the firmware dump, you can analyze it to understand its structure and potentially modify or reflash it to other devices.

Can we use any of these methods?
0 Kudos