cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPIFI Single/Dual/Quad mode

Jump to solution
Jose7
Contributor I

What should I set to transfer 1 bit per clock on the SPIFI interface?
Single mode is the best among Single/Dual/Quad modes, but there were only "kSPIFI_QuadMode" and "kSPIFI_DualMode" in the select of spifi_dual_mode_t.
The MCU I'm using is QN9090.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @Jose7 

1. Is it possible to communicate with this device via SPIFI?

==>I am afraid not. As you know the SPIFI instead of SPI Flash Interface, if there is no any memory on the remote SPI device, I worry that it is not possible to communicate with it via SPIFI.

2. Do I need to change any code to communicate with this device in Single mode?

==>As replied on the question 1, I think it might be not possible to communicate with this no memory SPI device. But if you prefer to have a try, I think you can try it:

• a. without any modification.
  • b. add a single mode variant in the structure spifi_dual_mode_t, and modify accordingly the calling code.

Best regards,

Christine.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
7 Replies
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @Jose7 

Thanks for creating case to us and hope you are doing well.

What is your SDK version and which example are you using?

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos
Jose7
Contributor I

Hi, @Christine_Li 

Thank you for your reply.

The SDK version is "SDK_2_6_13_QN9090DK6" and the example used is "dma_transfer" in spifi.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @Jose7 

Thanks for your feedback.

I checked according to your reply, and yes, we only have 

Spoiler

/*! @brief SPIFI dual mode select */

typedef enum _spifi_dual_mode

{

kSPIFI_QuadMode = 0x0U, /*!< SPIFI uses IO3:0 */

kSPIFI_DualMode = 0x1U /*!< SPIFI uses IO1:0 */

} spifi_dual_mode_t;

in the default SDK code in spifi_dual_mode_t structure in file fsl_spifi.h.

I think you can implement by adding a single mode variant in this structure and modify accordingly the calling code by yourself.

Hope our UM11141 QN9090(T)/QN9030(T) User Manual section  "34.9.1 Data transfer" on page 228 can help you somehow.

I apologize for the inconvenience to you.

Best regards,

Christine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Jose7
Contributor I

Hi, @Christine_Li 

Thank you for providing the documentation.

UM11141 QN9090(T)/QN9030(T) User Manual section "34.6 Supported devices" on page 225 "Table 66 shows a list of vendor QSPI devices which are supported. Other devices can be used and will run in basic single SPI mode at lower speed."

Does this mean that if I use a device not listed in Table 66, it must operate in Single SPI mode?

The board I'm using doesn't have any free pins on SPI, so I'm trying to connect it to an SPI device that is not flash memory using SPIFI.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @Jose7 

Does this mean that if I use a device not listed in Table 66, it must operate in Single SPI mode?

==>[Christine]: Yes, I am afraid that your understanding is correct. That is also my understanding. But these devices in the Table 66 are our known devices, for your device, to double confirm, you can also do a test with Dual or Quad mode to have a try. 

Best regards,

Christine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Jose7
Contributor I

Hi, @Christine_Li 

I'm trying to achieve similar behavior with regular SPI with SPIFI.

Imagine that the device (not flash memory) connected to the QN9090 via SPIFI functions as a SPI slave.

This device only supports 1 bit transfer per clock, so Single mode is the only option.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @Jose7 

==>I am afraid not. As you know the SPIFI instead of SPI Flash Interface, if there is no any memory on the remote SPI device, I worry that it is not possible to communicate with it via SPIFI.

==>As replied on the question 1, I think it might be not possible to communicate with this no memory SPI device. But if you prefer to have a try, I think you can try it:

• a. without any modification.
  • b. add a single mode variant in the structure spifi_dual_mode_t, and modify accordingly the calling code.

Best regards,

Christine.

Tags (1)