Using MCUXprsesso IDE with non NXP target

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using MCUXprsesso IDE with non NXP target

dry
Senior Contributor I

I would like to use MCUXpresso for a non Freescale/NXP board/target, for it's built-in IDE debugging functionality and integration with J-Link.

Anyone has ever done it successfully?

I'm seasoned with J-Link , I would say, and I can start GDBServer on command line and load and start debugging my target with the sample binary I built - no issues  at that level.

With MCUXpresso , after configuring the Segger J-Link launch profile, I get into error which says (non exact copy)  cannot acquire jtag .. Which is odd, as I configure J-Link GDBServer to use SWD to begin with.

I can see, from the log/console, that the GDBServer is launched correctly, and connects to the target with no-errors, but the error it _seems_ coming from some stage at or after gdb client invocation - I do not see it connecting to server, just exist , it seems, after running some init script.

I don't know how / what that Segger J-link plugin in MCUXpresso does wrt to target selection: i can see the list is limited to NXP /Freescale chips only. So does that mean it does some other 'magic' behind the scene besides just passing this parameter as the value to "-device XXX" to the J-Link?

(Because, ultimately I'm replacing that -device flag with non-NXP device )

0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

MCUXpresso IDE is explicitly designed and licensed for use with NXP's MCUs - in particular LPC, Kinetis and i.MX RT devices.  Thus I am afraid that we cannot provide any assistance with use of MCUXpresso IDE with non-NXP devices.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

dry
Senior Contributor I

Thank you for your replying,

I understand it's non-NXP device, and I didn't expect support as such. Was just wondering if any users have used the same IDE for non-NXP targets.

It's a great tool, and with non NXP locked hardware debugger/monitor it could work for other SoC /MCU makers.

0 Kudos