This is a frustrating situation you may experience with FRDM-KW36.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is a frustrating situation you may experience with FRDM-KW36.

Jump to solution
SeokJin
Contributor II

Hi.

I purchased two FRDM-KW36 boards and tried GenFSK and BLE examples with the two boards until two days ago.

However, a problem occurs after running “Create an Application for the FRDM-KW36: 4.1 Clone an example project from MCUXpresso SDK” and running it.

And up to this point, I was able to resolve the debug-related errors I had previously made by using the "Redlink Server" button and the "Boot Debug Probe" button, and debug and run the example well. -> I will attach a photo of Solution 1.

Solution 1.png

After running the previous example code, when I try to run the GenFSK example again, I get "Error occurs when debugging FRDM-KW36: Unable to connect wire for probe index 1." I'm facing a problem.

Error_Unable to connect wire probe index 1.png

I looked into it and found that if the previous debug was not terminated properly, a crash may occur and this error may occur. -> For example, I tried "Clean up Debug" or mass erase using the "GUI Flash Tool". I will also attach photos of the methods I tried.

Clean up debug.png

GUI Flash Tool_Mass erase.png

To resolve this error, I tried various other methods, but MCUX became very slow and the program continued to stop responding and eventually ended.

Afterwards, when I ran MCUX again, I found myself unable to debug again. Now, not only can I not debug, but even if I check the firewall or press the Redlink Server and Boot Debug Prove buttons, I cannot see the board to debug. I tried all the methods shown in the attached photo as solution 2, but it didn't work.

Solution 2.png

As a last method, I tried to burn the J-Link firmware by entering BOOTLOADER mode through Solution 3 attached, but this also did not work properly.

Solution 3.pngDownloaded bin file.png

This is the bin file I downloaded.

I've tried this far, but nothing has improved.

What should I do in times like this? Is there any way to initialize the FRDM-KW36 board? Please let me know what improvements I can try.

I am in a very desperate situation and would appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EduardoZamora
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @SeokJin

This is only a recapitulation of the suggestions that were discussed internally:

Some of the wireless examples put the device into low power mode, in which the debug modules are kept static or powered off depending on the low power level and the board may not be found on discovery. When trying to flash/debug your application, try to wake up the device by pressing repeatedly SW3/LLWU or Reset button (board) immediately after selecting "Debug" and while target discovery is trying to connect to the device.

If you want to update the firmware of your debugger, you can try following the steps listed in FRDM-KW36: Update OpenSDA Firmware. After modifying the debug probe firmware, you may need to delete the debug configuration (*.launch) file before starting a session with the new firmware.

As an additional test, you can try accessing/debugging the KW36 by using an external debugger (through SWD connector). Example of this external debugger is the MCU-Link Pro Debug Probe, which is a fully featured debug probe that can be used with MCUXpresso IDE and 3rd party IDEs that support CMSIS-DAP and/or J-Link protocols. This would be just to verify that the KW36 chipset is still working.

Regards,
Eduardo.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EduardoZamora
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @SeokJin

This is only a recapitulation of the suggestions that were discussed internally:

Some of the wireless examples put the device into low power mode, in which the debug modules are kept static or powered off depending on the low power level and the board may not be found on discovery. When trying to flash/debug your application, try to wake up the device by pressing repeatedly SW3/LLWU or Reset button (board) immediately after selecting "Debug" and while target discovery is trying to connect to the device.

If you want to update the firmware of your debugger, you can try following the steps listed in FRDM-KW36: Update OpenSDA Firmware. After modifying the debug probe firmware, you may need to delete the debug configuration (*.launch) file before starting a session with the new firmware.

As an additional test, you can try accessing/debugging the KW36 by using an external debugger (through SWD connector). Example of this external debugger is the MCU-Link Pro Debug Probe, which is a fully featured debug probe that can be used with MCUXpresso IDE and 3rd party IDEs that support CMSIS-DAP and/or J-Link protocols. This would be just to verify that the KW36 chipset is still working.

Regards,
Eduardo.

0 Kudos
SeokJin
Contributor II
I solved it by installing MCUX on another PC.
thank you for the reply.
0 Kudos