MCUXpresso 11.9.1 J-Link support for FlexSPI1 Secondary Pin Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso 11.9.1 J-Link support for FlexSPI1 Secondary Pin Group

Littell
Contributor II

(I don't normally cross-post but we are in serious need of help on this one.)

We have an issue with MCUExpresso 11.9.1's J-Link in that it doesn't appear to allow configuring use of the Secondary Pin Group at FlexSPI1. We have been able to use the standalone J-Link tools (J-Flash v7.98c) to successfully erase and program Flash but attempts from within MCUXpresso fail. How can we update/configure/convince the J-Link facility within MCUXpresso to be aware of the Secondary Pin Group?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

HangZhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Littell 

To address the issue , you can try the following steps:

1. Update J-Link Software in MCUXpresso:

Go to Window > Preferences > MCUXpresso IDE > Debug Options > J-Link Options used for the J-Link executable. Update it to point to the directory where the latest J-Link software is installed.

HangZhang_0-1723629942619.png

2. You can delete the Debug.launch file and try to debug again. 

3. If it hasn't been resolved yet, you can download the latest version of MCUXpresso.

Hope this will help you.

BR

Hang

0 Kudos

Littell
Contributor II

Yes, Step 1 will update but how do I then configure it to use the FlexSPI1 Secondary Pin Group?

0 Kudos

HangZhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Littell 

If you can operate flash read and write using jlink alone, it proves that your jlink flash download algorithm is correct. And MUCXpresso calls Jlink, you only need to update the available jlink paths. As for the FlexSPI1 Secondary Pin Group you mentioned, it seems to have nothing to do with jlink. Have you successfully implemented the FlexSPI1 Secondary Pin Group?

BR

Hang

0 Kudos

Littell
Contributor II

No, this is incorrect on at least two points:

1. The J-Link Flash download algorithm must be configured correctly to operate with a Flash connected to the Secondary Pin Group.  (This is true even when using the standalone J-Flash utility.)  How do I configure this within MCUXpresso?

2. The Secondary Pin Group operation on FlexSPI1 has everything to do with the J-Link support within the IDE - there's no apparent way to tell the J-Link support which pin group is being used, so the J-Link Flash programming algorithm fails.

0 Kudos

HangZhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Littell 

The FlexSPI NOR connection method is actually determined by the BootROM, to put it more bluntly, the FlexSPI NOR connection method is actually written in the BootROM code.
I don't know if you have changed it to second group pin startup, but if you want to change it, you need to modify it in efuse.
If you use jlink alone, you can check the download algorithm of jlink, which does not include pin related content.
May I ask if the use of jlink that you mentioned earlier works with the second group pin?
If using jlink alone can work, I think jlink in MCUXpresso can also work.

BR

Hang

0 Kudos

Littell
Contributor II

Once again, the standalone J-Link tools are able to work correctly with the Flash connected to Secondary Pin Group, but they must be configured correctly to use the Secondary Pin Group

I need to know how to configure the IDE's J-Link to use the Secondary Pin Group.

0 Kudos

HangZhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Littell 

I also referred to the article you mentioned, and I recorded a video for you to refer to.

BR

Hang

0 Kudos