Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Try with KL25Z and MCUXpresso

Jump to solution
danielcolon
Contributor II

Hi to averyone.

This its my first time trying to program a KL25Z and I decided to use MCUXpresso (I came from PIC Microcontrollers) but I'm finding a lot of troubles to get my first program up and running.

Firts I found out that the Bootloader that originally had my frdm board has to be changed in order to be recognized by MCUXpresso, so I changed it as well as the application. But when I start a debbug session, it seems everything ok until it ends. The computer stop recognizing the board connected and MCUXpresso doesn't recognize anymore the "probe" to debbug again or to load a release version of the example program.

What I have to do in order to get back my KL25Z is to change the Bootloader for the original one, restart the board and then load a example .bin program like the ones you can download from mbed. If I don't do these, the PC keeps whitout properly recognize the board.

So, after all this, I want to know

a) What bootloader and app version do I have to have to avoid broke my frdm board every time y start to debbug something?

b) Which ones are the steps to download the software to the kinetis in both, debbugug and release versions (I don't want to run everything in debbug mode).

Note: I already have added the SDK 2.2 to MCUXpresso

Thank you so much for your help into make this learning curve less painful". =)

Labels (1)
1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

Normally I would expect these boards to work 'out of the box'.

However I would suggest the following, go to: MCUXpresso IDE -> Help -> Additional resources -> OpenSDA Firmware Updates ... to open up the OpenSDA  web page. From here, select your FRDM-KL25Z board.

Download the DAPLink rev0242 binary -> this will download a zip file onto your PC. Open the zip and extract the contents (called something like K20dx_frdmK25z_if_crc.bin).

Follow the instructions to copy this onto your board - be sure to use the Windows eject mechanism after the drag and drop of the binary.

Now you should have a DAPLink firmware programmed into the OpenSDA debug circuit.

I think you are rather confused with regard to debug and release build configurations. These are just default project configurations that specify different compiler optimisations. You can choose which option to build using the 'Hammer' icon. Typically you would develop your code with the debug configuration since the generated code provides a better debug experience. Then switch to Release for better speed and code size prior to customer release.

Please find below a link providing an overview of using MCUXpresso IDE.

Building and debugging with MCUXpresso IDE|NXP 

Yours,

LPCXpresso Support

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

Normally I would expect these boards to work 'out of the box'.

However I would suggest the following, go to: MCUXpresso IDE -> Help -> Additional resources -> OpenSDA Firmware Updates ... to open up the OpenSDA  web page. From here, select your FRDM-KL25Z board.

Download the DAPLink rev0242 binary -> this will download a zip file onto your PC. Open the zip and extract the contents (called something like K20dx_frdmK25z_if_crc.bin).

Follow the instructions to copy this onto your board - be sure to use the Windows eject mechanism after the drag and drop of the binary.

Now you should have a DAPLink firmware programmed into the OpenSDA debug circuit.

I think you are rather confused with regard to debug and release build configurations. These are just default project configurations that specify different compiler optimisations. You can choose which option to build using the 'Hammer' icon. Typically you would develop your code with the debug configuration since the generated code provides a better debug experience. Then switch to Release for better speed and code size prior to customer release.

Please find below a link providing an overview of using MCUXpresso IDE.

Building and debugging with MCUXpresso IDE|NXP 

Yours,

LPCXpresso Support

danielcolon
Contributor II

Thank you!, Loading that Firmware my FRDM Board doesn't get broken.

Regards.

Daniel.

0 Kudos