cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for J-Link in CMSIS-DAP mode

Jump to solution
hsims
Contributor I

Does MCUXpresso (currently running 11.7.1) support detection & use of J-Link probes running in CMSIS-DAP mode?

I have used SEGGER's J-Link Configurator to have the J-Link boot into CMSIS-DAP mode (J-Link Now Supports CMSIS-DAP (segger.com)) but find I am unable to get MCUXpresso to detect it once I do that. It is detected by MCUXpresso as expected when configured for normal J-Link mode.

MCUXpresso correctly detects other CMSIS-DAP probes I have on-hand, including the one integrated into the RT1170EVK and a cheap DAPlink board.

After looking through the forum and reading about the probetable.csv I attempted to add a new row there to add support for the J-Link but was unsuccessful.

Note that the reason I am investigating this is because of some RTOS-specific functionality we require that is currently only supported via CMSIS-DAP, so using the J-Link in the standard mode is not an option.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @hsims ,

See https://mcuoneclipse.com/2023/04/30/booting-j-link-as-cmsis-dap-debug-probe/

I have not used it with a i.MX RT as target (yet), but the above article shows the necessary steps to recognize a J-Link in CMSIS-DAP mode by the MCUXpresso IDE under LinkServer.

As a reminder: As of today, the J-Link CMSIS-DAP probes are not officially supported.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @hsims ,

See https://mcuoneclipse.com/2023/04/30/booting-j-link-as-cmsis-dap-debug-probe/

I have not used it with a i.MX RT as target (yet), but the above article shows the necessary steps to recognize a J-Link in CMSIS-DAP mode by the MCUXpresso IDE under LinkServer.

As a reminder: As of today, the J-Link CMSIS-DAP probes are not officially supported.

I hope this helps,

Erich

hsims
Contributor I

Yes, this worked, thank you!

The probetable.csv example line in your article allowed the probe to be discovered in MCUXpresso and it seems to be working as expected.

I was placing mine at the end of the file (not sure if that is important or not) and had different values for a couple of the columns.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @hsims ,

So you use the Segger JLINK as the debugger or the MIMXRT1170-EVK on board CMSIS DAP and firmware with JLINK?

To the MIMXRT1170-EVK, I have tried both the on board CMSIS DAP or the JLINK firmware, both works.

If you use the Segger JLINK tool, and that firmware with CMSIS DAP can't work, you may need to contact with Segger side.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos