flex-builder vs. bitbake

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flex-builder vs. bitbake

amyovermyer
Contributor I

I've been using the Yocto-based Qoriq 2.0 SDK since last year on our custom LS1043A based board. It works well for us and we have built an infrastructure up to use it. So now it looks like NXP is favoring the LSDK flex-builder based system.

There are 2 real benefits that the Yocto has that I can't figure out if the flex-builder based system has.

1. The ability to generate rpms for easily updating boards that have already been programmed. The Yocto build system generates these and we find this very helpful. I know the flex-builder provides apt-get as part of the build system but can it be configured to use only apts created by the flex-build system?

2. The pre-mirror system in Yocto. Once we have saved off the tar ball/zip file/bz/whatever file and its fetch done stamp we need never worry again whether that file continues to be available or hosted by the same site. This is highly desirable in software meant to run for 10 years or more.

Curious if anyone has made this move from Qoriq SDK to LSDK and what your experiences were.

Amy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

michaelchen_nsb
Contributor II

We're struggling to decide using Yocto or LSDK for our new project, and need more advice from you guys.

The background is that we're using Yocto on our 1st generation products, and now we need to start the 2nd one.

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1. In the filesystem built in LSDK(by bitbake), the user can use apt-get to update and install packages on the target board, just like upgrading packages online in Ubuntu OS.

2. The user could modify configs/build_lsdk.cfg in flexbuild installation path to use the specified version packages as you required.

In addition, we still provide Yocto release for customers from the upstream, please refer to readme - qoriq-components/yocto-sdk - Repo manifest for QorIQ Yocto SDK

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos