cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debug access to ddr_ctlr

Jump to solution
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

Why can't we access the ddr controller without losing a JTAG connection?

Hi,

We're trying to bring up our custom board based on the LS1020a processor with DDR4 attached.  I've used the QCVS tool to generate initialization code that I'm using in my  bare-metal memory test app.  I also use the generated register values in U-Boot.  On the first access to the DDR controller registers, whether from my mem test app or from U-Boot, I lose my JTAG connection.  In CCS and in CodeWarrior, I can see that CCS is reporting a "ScanTimeout".  Do I have to do something special in order to access the DDR controller?  Does anyone know of any situations that can cause this kind of behavior?

pastedImage_0.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

Thanks for all the help, Adrian.  The problem is mostly resolved.  I changed RCW1 and RCW6 (counting from 1) in flash to the values placed in the registers by the 0x9B hard-coded values.  I could then connect (see caveat below).  I then began adding my desired values back into the fields (in flash) one by one. After I enabled the DDR_REFCLK_SEL, I could see DDR registers!  Hallelujah!  If I couldn't connect without a hard-coded RCW after I changed a value, I would connect with the hard-coded RCW and restore that field to its working value.  It seems like the mem_pll_rat and cga_pll_rat are giving me the most problems.  If I set it up for a 1Ghz proc clock and a 800 Mhz DDR clock, then I can't connect via JTAG without the undesirable hard-coded RCW.

The caveat is that if you cycle power, the JTAG chain seems to get a grip on the proc.  So a normal jtag attach with no RCW overrides will never free the proc and because the sequence doesn't do a "reset_to_debug".  A connection with RCW overrides will free it, as will resetting to debug from CCS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

Thanks for all the help, Adrian.  The problem is mostly resolved.  I changed RCW1 and RCW6 (counting from 1) in flash to the values placed in the registers by the 0x9B hard-coded values.  I could then connect (see caveat below).  I then began adding my desired values back into the fields (in flash) one by one. After I enabled the DDR_REFCLK_SEL, I could see DDR registers!  Hallelujah!  If I couldn't connect without a hard-coded RCW after I changed a value, I would connect with the hard-coded RCW and restore that field to its working value.  It seems like the mem_pll_rat and cga_pll_rat are giving me the most problems.  If I set it up for a 1Ghz proc clock and a 800 Mhz DDR clock, then I can't connect via JTAG without the undesirable hard-coded RCW.

The caveat is that if you cycle power, the JTAG chain seems to get a grip on the proc.  So a normal jtag attach with no RCW overrides will never free the proc and because the sequence doesn't do a "reset_to_debug".  A connection with RCW overrides will free it, as will resetting to debug from CCS.

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Should be: (0x1000 0x80000001). Looks like ccs::config_template 0 2 0x80000001 is deprecate and ccs::config_template 0 4096 0x80000001 should be used.

Adrian

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

yes, you need to use ccs::config_template 0 2 0x80000001 for fulll rcw override.

Adrian

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

I thought that might be the case.  How would one indicate that in the jtag config file?  I changed (0x1000 1) to(2 0x80000001) but CCS then reports "Invalid Parameter".

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Did you also override the rcw regs? Is not visible in ccs console. Also, since reset to debug is not working and return Core not responding, my guess this is because the incorrect rcw.

Also, you can try with ccs::config_template 0 2 0x80000001; instead of ccs::config_template 0 4096 1; This way the rcw oveeride will include also the PLL.

Adrian

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

I did update the RCWs with our values.  I do suspect that our RCW5 value is causing problems as I posted earlier today.  One thing about overriding the RCWs - I can never seem to connect, even on a previously working connection, if I try to override RCWs 1 through 5.  Does that require a different RCW option than (0x1000 1)?

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

I can now connect without using the hard-coded RCW.  Still can't access the DDR controller registers, though.  The key to this mini-breakthrough was changing 2 RCW values in QSPI flash.  I changed them to the values used by the hard-coded RCW value 0x9A:

RCW |    (desired values)   |    (working values)    |

1     |      0x0608000A      |     0x060A0006         |

6     |      0x08000020       |    0x00404000          |

I tried just changing one RCW or the other, but they were both needed.  Perhaps it's not surprising that I still can't access DDR as that working RCW6 value doesn't configure a valid ref clock source for DDR on our board.

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Try using in ccs the script attached, but make sure the rcw registers values are adapted  for you board.

Adrian

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

Hi Adrian,

Here is the output:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

Any advice on connecting to our board, without using the hard-coded RCW values in the JTAG ini file?  I believe we are loading our RCWs from flash on RESET.  The RCWs from the JTAG .ini and the RCWs in flash differ by only a few bits - particularly the rcw[DDR_REFCLK_SEL] field.  When we try to connect without the hard-coded RCW, we most often get "core not responding"

We kind of suspect that the problem is that we're connecting via JTAG with the hard-coded RCW value 0x9A. It appears we are loading our RCW values from QSPI flash, but cannot seem to connect via JTAG in anyway unles we have the hard-coded RCW value set up in the JTAG ini file.

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

We've done some more digging and found that all of the other components in the CCSR space seem to read back just fine.  Even the reserved space right up to 0x0107FFF0.  But the first read of 0x01080000 will cause a scan timeout.  Is there anything that could cause the DDR controller to lock up such that it can't even respond to a JTAG read of its registers?

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Did the read works from ccs?

Adrian

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

The reads do not work from CCS - scan_timeout.  Some more info - we're connecting with the hard-coded RCW value 0x9A.  Even though that's documented as selecting setting rcw[DDR_REFCLK_SEL] to 2, it actually sets it to 0 (Table 4-16 of the ARM).  On the LS1021ATWR dev board, we've configured to boot from QSPI and erased QSPI so that its similar to our custom board.  Connecting to the TWR with hard-coded RCW value 0x9B, we can still access the DDR registers.  The critical difference might be that the TWR has a clock on the pin DDR_CLK, but our board doesn't.  We are using SYS_CLK (differential) as the single source.

0 Kudos
alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please check which particular physical address you are trying to access, if this address is valid (if this is a memory mapped register - please check it has valid offset), and how this memory space is configured in memory management unit.

Have a great day,
Alexander

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

Hi Alexander,

This is a straight read of a memory mapped DDR controller register.  You can't quite see the full addresses in the picture I attached, but they match the datasheet addresses for the DDR controller i.e. 0x0108_0000

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please make sure core is suspended. CW will do all accesses via core and if core is running, you will get "Scan timeout" message.

Adrian

0 Kudos
jasonhendrix
Contributor V

Hi Adrian,

It's not shown as suspended in the picture I attached, but the results are the same even when it is suspended. 

0 Kudos