Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QorIQ LS1046A compatibility with newer Ethernet standards

Jump to solution
samanbahrampoor
Contributor I

Hi,

I am trying to to find the proper processor for my embedded design. 

What I need is a processor that supports 10 Gbps Ethernet and at least 8 GB of RAM.

I realize that QorIQ LS1046A has all that I need.

However, for the 10G connection, it says it is compatible with 10GBase-KR

1. Does that mean it is not compatible with 10GBase-T? If it is compatible, then do I need special components to make the interface or does the port work just like that?
  2. And if I connect a device with a newer standard, like 802.3bz, NBase-T or MGBase-T, will it work at 2.5/10 Gbps, or will it fall back to 1Gbps?

Thanks,

Labels (1)
1 Solution
bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

LS1046A on-chip SerDes can work as a 10GBase-KR or 1000Base-KX PHY, only passive circuitry is necessary to completethe interface. For whatever else, you need an external PHY which: (a) supports the PHY spec you are interested in;

(b) supports one of LS1046A MAC/PHY interfaces: SGMII, SGMII 2.5G, XFI.

Have a great day,
Platon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

LS1046A on-chip SerDes can work as a 10GBase-KR or 1000Base-KX PHY, only passive circuitry is necessary to completethe interface. For whatever else, you need an external PHY which: (a) supports the PHY spec you are interested in;

(b) supports one of LS1046A MAC/PHY interfaces: SGMII, SGMII 2.5G, XFI.

Have a great day,
Platon

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!