cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1028 Newer kernel version than 5.10

Jump to solution
mikelooijmans
Contributor III

Even the current "master" of meta-freescale builds a 5.10 kernel for linux-qoriq.

This is ancient - even Yocto itself complains about it as it expects at least 5.15 (for glibc) in scarthgap and master.

Also, we're attaching an NVME to the PCIe port, and I really want some fairly recent kernel changes (6.1) that improve power management for us.

As we will not be using any GPU or network, no firmware blobs are needed, and reportedly, the LS1028 should work with mainline.

I tried building the 6.6 linux-fslc kernel instead, with some recipe modifications, and got the ls1028ardb board to boot a bit into the kernel. However, the DMA controller won't load properly so there's not much that works. I'm digging into what prevents the kernel from accessing the SD device, as it gets stuck waiting for that (and loading the rootfs).

Has anyone made any progress into making the LS1028 kernel slightly less outdated?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mikelooijmans
Contributor III

Indeed, there's a 6.6 kernel recipe in there too.

The mainline kernel also works, it's just a matter of driver selection that made it fail to boot properly. It's a pain to find all the required drivers, found them by taking "compatible" strings from the devicetree, then grep on that to find the related code files, and then grep the Makefile in that directory to get to the required Kconfig item that enables it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Oswalag
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The latest supported version is Kernel v6.1.55, You can refer to the following link for more information:

https://github.com/nxp-imx/meta-nxp-desktop/blob/lf-6.1.55-2.2.0-mickledore/README.md 

0 Kudos
mikelooijmans
Contributor III

Wow, yet another NXP overlay for OpenEmbedded. Just how many are there?

0 Kudos
pb3
Contributor II

Here you have https://github.com/nxp-qoriq/meta-qoriq a repo where there are more recent kernels available. From what I know the new meta-qoriq Yocto release scarthgap will be available at the end of June so once it's done I guess they will change it also in the meta-freescale.

0 Kudos
mikelooijmans
Contributor III

Indeed, there's a 6.6 kernel recipe in there too.

The mainline kernel also works, it's just a matter of driver selection that made it fail to boot properly. It's a pain to find all the required drivers, found them by taking "compatible" strings from the devicetree, then grep on that to find the related code files, and then grep the Makefile in that directory to get to the required Kconfig item that enables it.

0 Kudos