Adding support for QSPI flash on LS1043ARDB

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding support for QSPI flash on LS1043ARDB

Contributor II

Hi,

We are building a customized hardware based on LS1043ARDB. We replaces IFC NOR with QSPI. 

I followed the code in LS1043AQDS and LS1046ARDB. And made changes to the u-boot code to add support for QSPI.

I have following questions - 

1) I downloaded the RCW source code from https://source.codeaurora.org/external/qoriq/qoriq-components/rcw.

I copied the LS1043AQDS/RR_FQPP_1455/rcw_1600_qspiboot.rcw to LS1043ARDB/RR_FQPP_1455/rcw_1600_qspiboot.rcw

and generated the .bin file. I see some instructions in qspi_readme to flash this image on the flash.

There is also config files in u-boot/board/freescale/ls1043ardb. For eg, ls1043_nand_rcw. cfg. I copied the ls1043aqds_rcw_qspi.cfg to LS1043ardb.

Question -What is the difference between the .bin file generated using RCW source code and the .cfg file which has the raw digits.

When you boot the first time, is there a particular order in which you need them? Do you need both .bin and .cfg or either or to boot a new QSPI flash?

2) Question - Do I need a new PBL image? How do I compile a new Preboot loader image?

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks,

Palak

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
9 Replies

Contributor II

Hi Yiping,

In the earlier conversation, you mentioned that 

If using non TF-A image, It is enough to modify u-boot/board/freescale/ls1043ardb/ ls1043_qspi_rcw. cfg.

If I dont need to use the RCW source code and the RR_FPQQ_1455/rcw_qspi.bin file. 

If I am not using the source code, and only modifying .cfg file, how do I change the SERDES value?

Thanks,

Palak

0 Kudos

NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please modify RCW data in u-boot/board/freescale/ls1043ardb/ ls1043_qspi_rcw. cfg to change the SERDES value.

0 Kudos

Contributor II

Thank you so much Yiping. 

We have changed the SERDES protocol from 1455 to 2255. Do I need to change anything in the code?

Thanks,

Palak

0 Kudos

NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please modify RCW file LS1043ARDB/RR_FQPP_1455/rcw_1600_qspiboot.rcw

0 Kudos

Contributor II

Thank you so much Yiping for your reply.

One more question. 

What do I need to change in the code to configure it to use hard-code RCW?

I know we need to change the cfg_rcw_src value to 0x9e but is there anything else you change in the code?

Thanks,

Palak

0 Kudos

NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Palak,

In CodeWarrior initialization file, you could define "USE_SAFE_RCW = True" to use hard-coded RCW on the target board.

You could refer to section 1 in Use CodeWarrior for ARMv8 to Debug U-boot and Linux Kernel and Bring up Bare Boards.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos

Contributor II

Hi Yiping,

Thank you for your reply. We are using LSDK 19.06 and not LSDK 20.

1) Is it necessary to use TF-A image? If not, can we continue to use PPA with LSDK 19.06? 

2) If I use non TF-A image, is modifying u-boot/board/freescale/ls1043ardb/ ls1043_qspi_rcw. cfg  enough?

Dont I need the rcw_qspiboot.rcw from rcw source code at all?

3) For non TF-A, do I still need a separate process to build PreBoot Loader (PBL image)? 

4) Modifying ls1043ardb_qspi_defconfig and rcw_qspi.cfg will generate RCW + PBI + U-boot?

4) For the first time boot, I read that you can use Hard coded RCW so it will bypass writing RCW to the flash. 

Is writing the cfg_rcw_src registers the value of 0x9e enough ? What other changes you need for first time booting from QSPI flash?

Thank you so much for answering. 

Thanks,

Palak

0 Kudos

NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Palak,

1. PPA is not supported in 19.06, you could use PBL+u-boot image without TF-A.

2. If using non TF-A image, It is enough to modify u-boot/board/freescale/ls1043ardb/ ls1043_qspi_rcw. cfg.

3. For non TF-A, the generated u-boot image has included RCW+PBI, no need a separate process to build PreBoot Loader.

4. Using ls1043ardb_qspi_defconfig configuration file to generate u-boot, will generate u-boot+PBL.

5. For new custom board bringing, there is no valid RCW on the target board, you need to configure the target board as hard-coded RCW, then program image to QSPI flash with CodeWarrior tool.

Thanks,

Yiping

NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Palak,

In recent released LSDK TF-A images are generated, bl2_<boot_mode>.pbl( includes RCW+PBI+BL2), TF-A fip.bin includes (BL31 + TEE (BL32) + U-Boot/ UEFI (Bl33)).

In u-boot build configuration file ls1043ardb_tfa_defconfig will be used, so ls1043aqds_rcw_qspi.cfg will not be used to generate u-boot image. 

For custom board, you only need to modify rcw_1600_qspiboot.rcw provided in rcw package.

If you use non TF-A image, you need to modify u-boot/board/freescale/ls1043ardb/ ls1043_qspi_rcw. cfg for your customized target board. U-boot configuration file ls1043aqds_qspi_defconfig will be used,the generated u-boot binary image includes RCW.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos