lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by  on Mon Feb 27 04:07:44 MST 2012
Hi,

The FreeRTOS+ web site was released last week, included in which are
some new LPC1769 examples.  These target the LPCXpresso base board, and
include examples that provide a Telnet “like” command line interface to
a file system stored on an SD card.  (A direct link to the LPCXpresso examples)

The examples use two new offerings from the FreeRTOS project:

+ FreeRTOS+CLI, which is a small piece of software that makes it easy
and efficient to execute functions from the command line.

+ FreeRTOS+IO, which is a comprehensive piece of software that provides
a familiar open(), read(), write(), ioctl() interface to serial (and
later other) peripherals.  It sits between the application and MCU
vendor supplied peripheral driver libraries – abstracting away any
differences in interfaces to different peripherals – and even contains
the interrupt service routines necessary.

I hope people on this forum will find these useful.

I am at the Embedded World trade fair this week, so my replies to any
follow-up posts may be delayed.
0 Kudos
21 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Keidy on Mon Apr 06 19:25:08 MST 2015
Morning...

Im really newbie in microcontroller in general. I bought at LPC Xpreso Baseboard and LPC1769. I'm working with Ubuntu and LPC xpresso IDE. but i can not make the FreeRTOS+CLI work. I suppose is a dump thing that i'm forgeting, but anyway i already spend 1 week and it's frustating. My issues are:

- i really dont understand what is the meaning of J62 ISP bootloader must be se up. Means 1 and 2 or 2 and 3.
- J54 both jumpers should be remove or no?
- My terminal app is Cutecom for ubuntu i can no see nothing in this screen'

What is the problem? please some help will be really grateful.

regards
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by alpha on Mon Jun 11 04:36:54 MST 2012
Has anybody tried to run this project in RDB1768/LPCXpresso board? (without baseboard)

I cant seem to run it (end up at hard fault), I tried to uncomment the spi-sdcard portion but it still doesnt work.

I'm hoping to use the lwIP stack of this project. Is the code configured for LAN8720?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nxpuser on Wed Apr 25 10:17:31 MST 2012
That worked.  I was able to download.  Thank you!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by  on Wed Apr 25 10:12:07 MST 2012
> Still could not download. I am using firefox, but also
> tried IE, and then tried from a laptop. All with the same
> result... file is private.

Hhm.  I just tried again and now I have the same problem.  How frustrating, but it seems the file host is flaky.  I have hosted the file elsewhere now.  If you go back to the same page, refresh to ensure you are not viewing a cache (press F5 while viewing the page), then try the download link again - and you should now find it working.  I will ditch the original file host service if it is going to be unreliable.

> Android:
> Firefox: Can't scroll your page

Took me a while to work it out on the iPad, so I presume the problem is the same on Android.  If it is then the scroll bar doesn't work (or is missing, I can't remember), but the page can be scrolled using two fingers on the screens touch interface.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Wed Apr 25 09:54:08 MST 2012

Quote: FreeRTOS.org
...report back...

Win7:[INDENT]Chrome: no
IE: no
Firefox: no
[/INDENT]Linux:[INDENT]Firefox :no
[/INDENT]Android:

[INDENT] Firefox: Can't scroll your page :)[/INDENT]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nxpuser on Wed Apr 25 09:53:08 MST 2012
Thanks for the quick reply!

Still could not download.  I am using firefox, but also tried IE, and then tried from a laptop.  All with the same result... file is private.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by  on Wed Apr 25 09:23:49 MST 2012
I can't explain what happened there - I tried and also found it market private, but when I hit F5 to refresh a few times eventually it downloaded.  I also tried in Firefox (which I have set to never store a history, normally I use Chrome), and found the download worked without any problem.

I would be grateful if you could try it again, and report back if you are still having a problem.  Maybe there is maintenance or something at the server end.

Also, see this:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/3/prweb9349020.htm
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nxpuser on Wed Apr 25 08:51:09 MST 2012
Fileden indicates that the zip file is private?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by james on Mon Apr 09 01:22:56 MST 2012
I tried the demo2 using a rev B board and its working :)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Sat Mar 03 11:34:23 MST 2012
Richard,

TIf you do that and it still doesn't work then we can investigate further.

I don't have the baseboard with me this weekend but I'll try what happens when I do insert an SD card. Stil strange that an assert leaves me with a non-debuggable target - that should never happen. The whole idea is that the assert hints me to where to problem lies.
Don't get me wrong. I do not 'blame' FreeRTOS for this.
I think this is one of those "user error: hit any user to continue" errors ;)

Up to now the only times that I had errors like this was while developing my new PLL clocking code and when I reprogrammed the SWD/JTAG pins on an lpc1343.

Regards,[INDENT]Rob
[/INDENT]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mike31416 on Sat Mar 03 10:40:32 MST 2012
Hi Rob,

I tried Demo 2 without the SD card inserted and it did hang.

Mike
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by  on Sat Mar 03 10:30:17 MST 2012

Quote:
I have a rev A baseboard but did not have an SD card installed - maybe that's the source of the problem.

That will definitely be a problem - as documented on the web page.  The demo will call assert() in a number of places if the card is not there - when it tries to initialise the card, when it tries to write to the card, and when it tries to read back from the card (not that it will get that far if there is no card).

Quote:
I was quite amazed to find out that the demo did not work straight out of the box.

Set the jumpers as per the docs and insert an SD card.  If you do that and it still doesn't work then we can investigate further.  The SD card being used can make a difference - I tried it with four different ones from very cheap to very expensive (if price has anything to do with it?) and found all worked ok, but that doesn't mean all will work.  In reality I think the biggest difference between cards is their performance.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Sat Mar 03 10:16:12 MST 2012
Hi Mike,

Quote: mike31416

I am using Rev B of the base board and demo 2 works for me (SD card needs to be installed). Are you using the base board?

I have a rev A baseboard but did not have an SD card installed - maybe that's the source of the problem.
Another thing is that I just compiled and downloaded - I did not have the time to check anything on the demo.

I was quite amazed to find out that the demo did not work straight out of the box.
I still have to investigate what's going on here, I will never use FreeRTOS+IO as a complete set in a project but I might want to include something like the runtime stats and task stats.

> What Ethernet Phy is supported?

I believe the PHY is on the CPU board, not the base board, so unless the PHY on the CPU board has changed it should be correct. Note I used an LPC1769 CPU board, not one of the older LPC1768 boards.

The NXP MAC driver was updated slightly because it didn't support the correct phy exactly. It worked in 100/Full duplex mode, but not in 10/half. Now it should work in both.
As I recall it is written for LAN8720.    

All lpc1769 board have the LAN8720 and that is on the LPCXpresso module, not the baseboard. So if this works on Richard's board it must run on all boards (even mine). So I must be doing something wrong (wrong jumper settings or whatever). Still - it is strange that the CPU is left in such a state that I am not able to connect with the LPCXpresso debugger anymore.

About Licensing ... Even if you just use FreeRTOS for your hobby projects it might be a good idea to treat yourself on a PDF copy of the FreeRTOS Tutorial book and the reference manual. The tutorial book is actually much more that just a description of the tutorials it actually is a good user manual describing how FreeRTOS works and how to use it. The LPC17xx version even mentions the specialties in the FreeRTOS port. Once you grab the concept of FreeRTOS the reference manual is a very good reference.
I had an old version of the reference manual which I just updated - worth every penny invested :D
(and don't complain about paying money for this - your internet connections costs as much about every month :p)

Regards,[INDENT]Rob
[/INDENT]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by  on Thu Mar 01 12:34:17 MST 2012
Um, yes, you are not the first to notice its absence.  If you could just hang with me on that for a little while - the licensing part was in a little state of flux at the last minute, which together with the rush to launch the new portal site before embedded world means it didn't get posted up.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the Rev B board jumpers.  I will note this on the page as soon as I'm back in the office (tomorrow).

Regards.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by FlySnake on Thu Mar 01 09:02:03 MST 2012
Both demos work for me on LPCXpresso 1769 rev.B and BaseBoard rev.B. All jumpers set as shown on the pictures with 1 difference (see "Troubleshooting" in BaseBoard's manual): if you are using ISP bootloader and have J62 set for it, then you have to remove J54 in order to use FT232 converter with terminal program.

What's about FreeRTOS+ commercial use?

Quote:
- Commercial licensing -
Businesses and individuals who wish to incorporate FreeRTOS+IO into proprietary
software for redistribution in any form must first obtain a low cost commercial
license - and in-so-doing support the maintenance, support and development of
the FreeRTOS+IO product.  Commercial licenses can be obtained from
http://shop.freertos.org.

But I can't find any mentions about this on shop.freertos.org
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by  on Thu Mar 01 08:31:09 MST 2012
Answering a couple of points in one post:

> I believe the pictures are of the rev A LPCXpresso Base Board

Yes, that is correct.  It says in the documents that the Rev A board was used.  I checked with Embedded Artists however and believe (jumper image aside) the demos are compatible with the Rev B too.

> What Ethernet Phy is supported?

I believe the PHY is on the CPU board, not the base board, so unless the PHY on the CPU board has changed it should be correct.  Note I used an LPC1769 CPU board, not one of the older LPC1768 boards. 

The NXP MAC driver was updated slightly because it didn't support the correct phy exactly.  It worked in 100/Full duplex mode, but not in 10/half.  Now it should work in both. 

I have to admit that part of the driver code was not updated particularly cleanly as I only discovered the 10/Half duplex problem during final checks before release, as I only used 100/full duplex during development.  There are two defines in the NXP code, MCB_LPC_1768 and IAR_LPC_1768, but neither are correct for the LPCXpresso board.  IAR_LPC_1768 is set because it works in all cases other than the auto negotiation code (which is the part that was updated) - so that is probably the source of the confusion.  Ideally there should be no board/PHY dependencies in this code.

You need to use either a point to point cable, or a standard Ethernet cable through a hub.

As I recall it is written for LAN8720.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jaybee on Thu Mar 01 06:16:59 MST 2012
Can I port this to other boards?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mike31416 on Wed Feb 29 16:16:01 MST 2012
Hi Rob,

I am using Rev B of the base board and demo 2 works for me (SD card needs to be installed). Are you using the base board?

Mike
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Feb 29 15:40:19 MST 2012
I can't get the Demo-2 to work.
What Ethernet Phy is supported? In the code I only see references towards the 83848 whereas the LPCXpresso1769 module has an 8720A mounted. I've read that other users had problems like this when the wrong phy was selected in the program.

But apart from this the demos look nice.
Maybe I can use this to add a CLI to my application to be able to show the system status and load while running my application in a stand alone environment. With tasks registering variables as watches I could even check the task's internal state to keep track of what's happening in my app.
I feel some tutorial coming up on this :)

Regards,

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mike31416 on Tue Feb 28 19:34:45 MST 2012
I did find a small problem with the photos that show the jumper configurations. I believe the pictures are of the rev A LPCXpresso Base Board. A new jumper J62 was added between J25 and J13 on the rev B board. The new jumper is to support the LPC17xx bootload.

Thank you for the well documented examples!

Mike
0 Kudos